Take your HTML and CSS skills to the next level, by mastering the world's most popular content management system for building websites!
About This Video
- Confidently create different types of WordPress website
- Gain a deep knowledge of WordPress such as custom headers, plugins, themes, and more
- Convert HTML and CSS websites into WordPress themes
This course is for anybody looking for a career building WordPress websites or themes, or even hobbyists looking to learn a new skill.
In this course, we will be using WordPress 4.8; however, the course is compatible with all the newer versions of WordPress.
We begin the course by getting you familiar with WordPress and looking at how to install it using a local host. We then look at WordPress essentials while you build your very own blog website.
Then we will move on customizing our blog. Also, optimize your WordPress website for search engines and create backups.
The second project takes your WordPress knowledge even further. We create a fully functional eCommerce T-Shirt store. More techniques are introduced throughout this project such as child themes, dealing with products, categories, shipping, and taxes, all while building a beautiful, customized website.
After that, we move things on even further by introducing you to WordPress theme development and converting an existing HTML and CSS website into a fully functional WordPress theme. This section involves coding in PHP; however, if you are new to PHP a dedicated PHP basics section will get you up to speed.
This project introduces new techniques, and you will gain a deeper knowledge of how WordPress themes are created. You will learn how WordPress templates are used and employ various WordPress functions to build your theme.
Finally, the last section focuses on useful techniques to enhance your WordPress knowledge. Here we will cover exporting localhost websites to a live server, various plugins, and more.
By the end of this course, you will have mastered all the WordPress skills that you would need for your own web design project.
Who this book is for
This course is ideal for novice students keen to begin their journey into web development and WordPress, or students who want to refresh their skills. It will also be useful for designers (or anybody from another industry) keen to get a grounding in how a website is built.
The course uses WordPress 4.8; however, the course is compatible with all the newer versions of WordPress.
Table of contents
- Chapter 1 : Introduction and Getting Started
- Chapter 2 : Let's Get Building: WordPress Blog
Chapter 3 : Customizing Our Site: WordPress Blog
- The customizer and site identity
- Adding the Header Image
- Adding a Logo and Background Image
- Plugins and Social Media Integration
- Home Page Setup and Widgets Part 1
- Home Page Setup and Widgets Part 2
- Creating the Footer
- Adding a Slider
- Creating the Contact Form
- Adding Press This
- Improving SEO
- Backing up your site
Chapter 4 : WordPress eCommerce: T-Shirt Store
- Database Setup and WordPress Installation (If Using MAMP)
- Getting Started with WooCommerce
- Why Use Child Themes
- Child Theme Setup
- Product Categories, Tags, and Attributes
- Adding Products
- Home Page Layout and Slider
- Customizing the Look of Our Store
- Flexible Layouts Using Page Builder
- Rearranging Menus
- The Footer Area
- WooCommerce Settings
- Chapter 5 : PHP Basics/Refresher
Chapter 6 : Convert an Existing Website to WordPress
- Database Setup and WordPress Installation
- Underscores Starter Theme
- Understanding WordPress/PHP Templates
- Header and Footer Sections
- Adding the CSS and Images
- Converting the Front Page
- Converting Our Menu
- Setting Up the Blog Index Page
- Setting Up the Blog Posts
- Single Post Page
- Converting the About Page
- Search Box and Finishing Touches
- Chapter 7 : WordPress Networking/Multisite Installation
- Chapter 8 : Bonus Videos
- Chapter 9 : Thank You
- Title: WordPress Academy: Learn WordPress Step by Step
- Release date: November 2019
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781839210150
You might also like
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Learn Git in 3 Hours
Build powerful and effective projects using Git Version Control Systems About This Video Learn how to …
WordPress All-In-One For Dummies, 4th Edition
Set up your WordPress site today! WordPress is a state-of-the-art blog publishing platform with a focus …
WordPress 5 Theme Development Academy with Bootstrap v4
Unlock the power of WordPress by building custom responsive themes using Bootstrap 4 About This Video …