This first chapter takes a quick tour of vocation and virtue and some other related concepts.
The first of the concepts is vocation. Vocation means calling, and the word originates in the idea that we can feel a desire to live unique and responsible lives. We can contrast vocation to the idea of a career:
One builds a successful career:
• By a series of achievements
• Gained by your own efforts and genius
• Rewarded by wealth and fame
On the other hand, you discover a fruitful vocation:
• By identifying and developing your values and strengths
• In relationships where you give and take
• Serving the community, economically and socially
To exaggerate the differences: a career ...