• defines some important technical terms used throughout this book;
• establishes why rules are important;
• describes the problems that face most organizations in managing rules;
• describes the benefits of the approach described in this book to solving those problems;
• discusses the various ways in which rules govern an organization and its employees, customers, suppliers, and partners;
• discusses how rule management has evolved over time.
Over time various authors have produced different definitions of the term business rule. Unfortunately some of these definitions have conflicted with others.
According to the Business Rules Group,1 the first authoritative definition ...