The X-Ways Forensics Practitioner's Guide is more than a manual-it's a complete reference guide to the full use of one of the most powerful forensic applications available, software that is used by a wide array of law enforcement agencies and private forensic examiners on a daily basis.
In the X-Ways Forensics Practitioner's Guide, the authors provide you with complete coverage of this powerful tool, walking you through configuration and X-Ways fundamentals, and then moving through case flow, creating and importing hash databases, digging into OS artifacts, and conducting searches.
With X-Ways Forensics Practitioner's Guide, you will be able to use X-Ways Forensics to its fullest potential without any additional training. The book takes you from installation to the most advanced features of the software. Once you are familiar with the basic components of X-Ways, the authors demonstrate never-before-documented features using real life examples and information on how to present investigation results. The book culminates with chapters on reporting, triage and preview methods, as well as electronic discovery and cool X-Ways apps.
- Provides detailed explanations of the complete forensic investigation processe using X-Ways Forensics.
- Goes beyond the basics: hands-on case demonstrations of never-before-documented features of X-Ways.
- Provides the best resource of hands-on information to use X-Ways Forensics.
Table of contents
- Cover image
- Title page
- Table of Contents
- About the Authors
- Chapter 1. Installation and Configuration of X-Ways Forensics
- Chapter 2. Case Management and Imaging
Chapter 3. Navigating the X-Ways Forensics Interface
- Information in this chapter
- Case Data directory tree
- Toolbar, tab control, and directory browser options, filters
- Directory browser
- Mode buttons and Details pane
- Status bar
- Main menu
- General options continued
- Volume snapshot options
- Viewer programs options continued
- Security options
- Chapter 4. Refine Volume Snapshot
- Chapter 5. The XWF Internal Hash Database and the Registry Viewer
- Chapter 6. Searching in X-Ways Forensics
- Chapter 7. Advanced Use of X-Ways Forensics
- Chapter 8. X-Ways Forensics Reporting
- Chapter 9. X-Ways Forensics and Electronic Discovery
- Chapter 10. X-Ways Forensics and Criminal Investigations
- Appendix A. X-Ways Forensics Additional Information
- Appendix B. X-Ways Forensics How to’s
- Title: X-Ways Forensics Practitioner’s Guide
- Release date: August 2013
- Publisher(s): Syngress
- ISBN: 9780124116221
You might also like
A Practical Guide to Computer Forensics Investigations
All you need to know to succeed in digital forensics: technical and investigative skills, in one …
Hands-On Network Forensics
Gain basic skills in network forensics and learn how to apply them effectively Key Features Investigate …
EnCE EnCase Computer Forensics: The Official EnCase Certified Examiner Study Guide, 3rd Edition
The official, Guidance Software-approved book on the newest EnCE exam! The EnCE exam tests that computer …
Building a Digital Forensic Laboratory
The need to professionally and successfully conduct computer forensic investigations of incidents and crimes has never …