Xamarin in Action teaches you to build cross-platform mobile apps using Xamarin and C#. You'll explore all the layers of a Xamarin app, from design to deployment. By the end, you'll be able to build a quality, production-ready Xamarin app on iOS and Android from scratch with a high level of code reuse.
About the Technology
Rewriting the same app for iOS and Android is tedious, error-prone, and expensive. Microsoft's Xamarin drastically reduces dev time by reusing most application code--typically 70% or more. The core of your iOS and Android app is shared; you write platform-specific code only for the UI layer. And because Xamarin uses C#, your apps benefit from everything this modern language and the .NET ecosystem have to offer.
About the Book
Xamarin in Action teaches you to build cross-platform mobile apps using Xamarin and C#. You'll explore all the layers of a Xamarin app, from design to deployment. Xamarin expert Jim Bennett teaches you design practices that maximize code reuse and isolate device-specific code, making it a snap to incorporate the unique features of each OS.
- Understanding MVVM to maximize code reuse and testability
- Creating cross-platform model and UI logic layers
- Building device-specific UIs
- Unit and automated UI testing
- Preparing apps for publication with user tracking and crash analytics
About the Reader
Readers should have some experience with C#. Mobile development experience is helpful, but not assumed.
About the Author
Jim Bennett is a Xamarin MYP, Microsoft MVP, and Senior Cloud Developer Advocate at Microsoft, specializing in Xamarin mobile apps. He's a frequent speaker at events all around the world, including Xamarin user groups and Xamarin and Microsoft conferences. He regularly blogs about Xamarin development at https://jimbobbennett.io.
Table of contents
- Brief Table of Contents
- Table of Contents
- About this book
- About the cover illustration
Part 1. Getting started with Xamarin
- Chapter 1. Introducing native cross-platform applications with Xamarin
- Chapter 2. Hello MVVM—creating a simple cross-platform app using MVVM
- Chapter 3. MVVM—the model-view–view model design pattern
- Chapter 4. Hello again, MVVM—understanding and enhancing our simple MVVM app
- Chapter 5. What are we (a)waiting for? An introduction to multithreading for Xamarin apps
Part 2. Building apps
- Chapter 6. Designing MVVM cross-platform apps
- Chapter 7. Building cross-platform models
- Chapter 8. Building cross-platform view models
- Chapter 9. Building simple Android views
- Chapter 10. Building more advanced Android views
- Chapter 11. Building simple iOS views
- Chapter 12. Building more advanced iOS views
- Part 3. From working code to the store
- Appendix A. UI flows and threads for SquareRt and Countr
- Appendix B. Using MVVM Light instead of MvvmCross
- Appendix C.
- Appendix D.
- List of Figures
- List of Tables
- List of Listings
- Title: Xamarin in Action: Creating native cross-platform mobile apps
- Release date: May 2018
- Publisher(s): Manning Publications
- ISBN: 9781617294389
You might also like
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
.NET Core in Action
Summary .NET Core in Action shows .NET developers how to build professional software applications with .NET …
Flutter in Action
Flutter in Action teaches you to build professional-quality mobile applications using the Flutter SDK and the …
Entity Framework Core in Action
Using crystal-clear explanations, real-world examples, and around 100 diagrams, Entity Framework Core in Action teaches you …