Chapter 2. Hello MVVM—creating a simple cross-platform app using MVVM
This chapter covers
- What MVVM is and why it’s the best choice for cross-platform Xamarin apps
- What the MVVM design pattern is all about, and why you’d want to use it to maximize your cross-platform code
- Getting set up with Xamarin and the MvvmCross extension
- Creating HelloCrossPlatformWorld, your first Xamarin mobile app
- Running your app on iOS and Android
Typically at this point in a book, it’s traditional to build a Hello World app to show off the technology in question. For this book, though, I’m going to go slightly against tradition and start by discussing the MVVM (model-view–view model) design pattern. Then we’ll get our hands dirty with some code toward the end ...