This practical book provides everything you need to know about the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP). This open technology for real-time communication is used in many diverse applications such as instant messaging, Voice over IP, real-time collaboration, social networking, microblogging, lightweight middleware, cloud computing, and more.
XMPP: The Definitive Guide walks you through the thought processes and design decisions involved in building a complete XMPP-enabled application, and adding real-time interfaces to existing applications. You'll not only learn simple yet powerful XMPP tools, but you'll also discover, through real-world developer stories, how common XMPP "building blocks" can help solve particular classes of problems.
With this book, you will:
- Learn the basics of XMPP technologies, including architectural issues, addressing, and communication primitives
- Understand the terminology of XMPP and learn about the wealth of XMPP servers, clients, and code libraries
- Become familiar with the XMPP concepts and services you need to solve common problems
- Construct a complete business application or real-time service with XMPP
Every day, more software developers and service providers are using XMPP for real-time applications, and with the help of XMPP: The Definitive Guide, you can, too.
Table of contents
- A Note Regarding Supplemental Files
I. An Overview of XMPP
- 1. Introduction
- 2. Basics of XMPP
II. The XMPP Toolkit
- 3. Presence
- 4. Instant Messaging
- 5. Discovering the World
- 6. Data Forms
- 7. Multi-Party Interactions
- Why It Matters
- Publishing and Receiving Notifications
- Payloads: To Send or Not to Send?
- Items: To Store or Not to Store?
- Discovering Nodes
- Node Management
- Personal Eventing: PubSub Simplified
- 9. Jingle: Jabber Does Multimedia
- 10. Sending Binary Data
- 11. Remote Commands
- 12. Connection Methods and Security
III. Putting It All Together
13. Design Decisions
- Is XMPP the Right Choice?
- How the XMPP Community Works
- Writing XMPP Software
- Extending XMPP
14. Building an XMPP Application
- The CheshiR Microblogging Platform
- First Sprint: The CheshiR XMPP IM Bot
- Second Sprint: Configuring the CheshiR XMPP IM Bot
- Third Sprint: Scaling the CheshiR XMPP Service Using a Server Component
- Fourth Sprint: Registering with the CheshiR Server Component
- Fifth Sprint: Extending the Server Component with Rosters
- Future Sprints
- A CheshiR Server Module or Dedicated Server?
- 13. Design Decisions
- A. A Guide to XMPP Specifications
- B. Popular Servers, Clients, and Libraries
- C. Further Practical Considerations
- About the Authors
- Title: XMPP: The Definitive Guide
- Release date: April 2009
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9780596521264
You might also like
Algorithms, Fourth Edition
This fourth edition of Robert Sedgewick and Kevin Wayne’s Algorithms The algorithms in this book represent …
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Amazon Web Services AWS LiveLessons 2nd Edition
More Than 17 Hours of Video Instruction More than 17 hours of video instruction on Amazon …
A Common-Sense Guide to Data Structures and Algorithms
" Algorithms and data structures are much more than abstract concepts. Mastering them enables you to …