People: figure out who makes the decision
- Identify decision-makers and influencers
- Launch your campaign
- Your key task: map your critical stakeholders
1 Identify decision-makers and influencers
Quite often it will simply be your boss deciding on your promotion. There are also plenty of scenarios where this is not the case. Make a list of all those people who could be involved in your promotion decision. This helps to map out the landscape of all possible stakeholders involved, and what connections you may need to build, renew or repair.
Consider the following:
- Who is the primary decision-maker?
- Who is the secondary decision-maker?
- Who has the power of veto?
- Who are the influencers?
- Who might want to influence against your promotion? ...