Microservices for the Enterprise
Published by O'Reilly Media, Inc.
A Design-Based Approach to Creating Organizational Readiness and Sustainable Systems
April 19, 2017
5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. Coordinated Universal Time
This event has ended.
Microservices are taking the software engineering world by storm. This architectural style of decomposing applications into network-based services has been credited with increasing software delivery speed and improving scalability and resiliency at companies like Amazon and Netflix. It’s no wonder that many organizations are jumping in with both feet.
To succeed with a microservice architecture in the long run, however, you’ll need to deal with the increasing complexity of your microservice-based software as it grows. By taking a design-based approach from the outset, you’ll be able to scale up more smoothly and establish a sustainable implementation.
Join Matt McLarty to learn the design principles, architectural practices, and organizational considerations that will help you succeed with microservices. You’ll walk away from this session with ideas and guidelines that will help you reap the benefits of a microservice architecture while avoiding its potential pitfalls.
What you’ll learn and how you can apply it
By the end of this live, online course, you’ll understand:
- The potential benefits of microservice architecture
- The principles and practices that help to achieve each benefit
- A methodology for defining a microservices strategy
- Determine what benefits are most important to your organization
- Develop a blueprint for your microservices strategy
- Identify the domains that encompass your microservices system
This live event is for you because…
- You’re a technology leader who wants to introduce microservice architecture to your organization
- You work with APIs, containers, and other microservice-related technologies
- You want to become an expert in microservice architecture
- You want to understand how successful companies have adopted microservice architectures
- Familiarity with microservices, APIs and distributed systems
- Nice to have familiarity with Domain-Driven Design
(not required in advance, but Matt will discuss concepts from these books. They are excellent resources to have on hand as you progress with microservices)
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing.
Lecture (30 minutes)
- The background and benefits of microservices
- A design-based approach to microservices
- Outcome and service
Activity (10 minutes) - Service design exercise
Lecture (30 minutes) - Foundation, system and organizational design
Q&A (20 minutes)
Matt McLarty is Vice President of the API Academy at CA Technologies. The API Academy helps companies thrive in the digital economy by providing expert guidance on strategy, architecture and design for APIs. He is an experienced instructor, speaker, and one of the authors of the acclaimed book, Microservice Architecture.