90-minutes to Hyperledger Fabric
Published by O'Reilly Media, Inc.
Crafting blockchain technology solutions
May 15, 2020
3:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. Coordinated Universal Time
This event has ended.
Blockchain technology has moved beyond the hype into widespread production. And many of these blockchain solutions are built with Hyperledger technologies. The most popular tool is Hyperledger Fabric, an enterprise-grade distributed ledger platform that uses chaincode for writing and deploying blockchain smart contracts. Hyperledger Fabric offers modularity and versatility for a broad set of industry use cases through plug-and-play components, such as consensus, privacy, and membership services, and tools.
Join expert Mark Anthony Morris to gain the essential skills needed to build Hyperledger blockchain applications. Mark offers an overview of Hyperledger before taking you through the Hyperledger Fabric development environment, smart contract development, and Hyperledger use cases, benefits, and risks.
What you’ll learn and how you can apply it
By the end of this live online course, you’ll understand:
- The Hyperledger family, ecosystem, and development environment
- The basics of Hyperledger blockchain development
- How to use Hyperledger Fabric to write chaincodes or smart contracts
- How to run and test Hyperledger applications
- Blockchain use cases in business
And you’ll be able to:
- Build decentralized applications with Hyperledger Fabric
- Build and deploy chaincode in Hyperledger Fabric
- Test Hyperledger Fabric applications
- Update Hyperledger smart contracts
This live event is for you because…
- You want to learn how to write chaincode with Hyperledger.
- You want to become a subject-matter expert in Hyperledger or smart contracts.
- You want to explore the business potential of blockchain and Hyperledger.
- You want to build your own Hyperledger blockchain application.
- You’re an aspiring blockchain developer who wants to learn more about Hyperledger, the industry-leading blockchain platform.
- A working knowledge of programming concepts (e.g., how programs are created, programming logic, how to use text editors and IDEs to create software code, and how to use command-line tools to compile and package programs)
- A basic understanding of blockchain (e.g., the primary components databases, peer-to-peer networking, consensus, basic cryptography like encryption, signatures, and hashing, and how these components work together to form a blockchain and perform the operations of processing and committing transactions onto an immutable ledger)
- Watch History of Blockchain (video, 1m 49s)
- Read “History and Evolution of Blockchain Technology from Bitcoin” (article)
- Read “Comprehensive Overview and Analysis of Blockchain Use Cases in Many Industries” (article)
- Read “How to Install Hyperledger Fabric on AWS” (article)
- Read “Build Blockchain Supply Chain with Hyperledger Fabric Step-by-Step” (article)
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing.
The Hyperledger blockchain ecosystem (10 minutes)
- Presentation: Introduction to the Hyperledger family—distributed ledgers, libraries, tools, and domain-specific projects; the Hyperledger design philosophy and framework architecture—consensus layer, smart contracts, databases, and peer networking
Components and architecture of Hyperledger Fabric (15 minutes)
- Presentation: Hyperledger architecture—peer, ordering service, Fabric CA (Credential Authority), Fabric ledger, channel, organization, endorsement policy, and membership services provider (MSP); Fabric installation requirements
Application lifecycle management (10 minutes)
- Presentation: Installing and instantiating the chaincode package; configuring the endorsement policy; defining a collection policy for private data; modifying or upgrading chaincode
Installing and configuring your network (15 minutes)
- Presentation: Modifying the world state database configuration; defining the initial multi-org configuration policy; configuring the ordering service (Kafka); configuring Hyperledger Fabric containers; defining network config options (block creation options, etc.); enabling TLS for communication; generating a genesis block; configuring a service discovery node (e.g., peer and orderer addresses)
Smart contract development (40 minutes)
- Presentation: Defining a smart contract class/construct; defining transaction functions; validating and sanitizing inputs and arguments; implementing deterministic logic/code; simple state interaction (Get, Put, Delete); executing simple queries; creating complex queries; defining assets using key-value pairs; identifying potentially private data; incorporating private data collection; implementing attribute-based access control; initializing the ledger state; installing and instantiating a smart contract
- Hands-on exercise: Put your skills to work on an example blockchain application using Hyperledger Fabric
Mark Anthony Morris is a thought leader and true visionary with 30 years’ experience in topics including blockchain, AI, AR, the IIoT, ecommerce, security, systems integration, microservices, cryptocurrency, enterprise software systems engineering, reengineering to the cloud (Azure and AWS), internet and intranet SOA technology, and federated partner integration and single sign-on. An autodidact, Mark founded and hosts the Austin Blockchain Technology and Hyperledger Austin meetups. Mark was an independent hired gun for IBM, Sun Microsystems, Big 6, Fortune 500, federal and state government clients for over 20 years. One of his early startups won the FDIC RTC $50M contract for document imaging and workflow automation. He also designed and led the development of a healthcare application that manages 5,700 long-term care facilities; it was nominated by the State of Texas for best government to business application architecture and design in the States CIO Awards competition. His other clients have included the InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG), Gap, Sprint, the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, American Airlines, and more.