Meet the Expert: How AI Will Change Our World by 2041 with Kai-Fu Lee and Tim O’Reilly
Published by O'Reilly Media, Inc.
September 9, 2021
11:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m. Coordinated Universal Time
This event has ended.
AI is poised to enter into our daily lives on a much bigger scale than ever before, touching everything from education to medicine to entertainment. While the advent of this technology may liberate us from routine work, it will also challenge the current principles of our economic and social order and bring new risks in the form of autonomous weapons and smart technology that inherits human bias.
Join us for this edition of Meet the Expert with Kai-Fu Lee—celebrated AI pioneer, former president of Google China, and best-selling author of _AI Superpowers_—in conversation with Tim O’Reilly. They’ll explore predictions from Dr. Lee’s new book, AI 2041: Ten Visions for Our Future, written with science fiction author Chen Qiufan, and discuss how current AI technologies, such as deep learning, computer vision, robotics, autonomous driving, and natural language processing, can give insight to future advances and challenges that will have far-reaching impacts across the globe.
O'Reilly Meet the Expert explores emerging business and technol_emphasized text_ogy topics and ideas through a series of one-hour interactive events. You’ll engage in a live conversation with experts, sharing your questions and ideas while hearing their unique perspectives, insights, fears, and predictions.
APAC friendly time.
What you’ll learn and how you can apply it
- Explore how key AI technologies will change our lives within the next 20 years and discover the part companies will play
- Understand the benefits and risks of emerging AI technologies and learn how to assess them for your own business
- See how current AI research is presenting new challenges and opportunities and how you can plan for the future now
This live event is for you because…
- You want to learn about the fundamental shifts in AI that are transforming how businesses meet customer needs.
- You’re a leader who wants to know how AI-driven automation will continue to change business processes.
- Come with your questions for Kai-Fu Lee
- Have a pen and paper handy to capture notes, insights, and inspiration
- Read AI Fairness (report)
- Read Responsible AI (book)
- Watch Real-World Lessons from Applying NLP to Personalized Healthcare (AI Superstream session)
- Watch Fireside chat with Tim O'Reilly and Kai-Fu Lee (AI Conference session)
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing.
Thursday, September 9, 2021, at 4:00pm PT / 7:00pm ET
- Introduction and presentation (15 minutes)
- Interactive discussion and Q&A (45 minutes)
Dr. Kai-Fu Lee has spent more than three decades at the cutting edge of artificial intelligence research, development, and investment in both the US and China. He’s the chairman and CEO of Sinovation Ventures, a leading venture capital firm that manages a US$2 billion fund focused on developing the next generation of Chinese high-tech companies, and is also president of Sinovation Ventures Artificial Intelligence Institute, which works to infuse AI inside traditional companies. Previously, Dr. Lee was the president of Google China and a senior executive at Microsoft, SGI, and Apple. He’s the cochair of the Artificial Intelligence Council for the World Economic Forum’s Center for the Fourth Industrial Revolution and a fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE). He was named one of the most influential people in the world by Time magazine in 2013 and a Wired 25 Icon in 2018.
Dr. Lee received a bachelor’s degree in computer science from Columbia University and a PhD in computer science from Carnegie Mellon University. While at Carnegie Mellon, he built a program that defeated the world champion at Othello in 1988—one of the first examples of a computer beating the best human player at a game. He also developed the world’s first large-vocabulary, speaker-independent continuous speech recognition system. As an executive, Dr. Lee founded Microsoft Research China, later renamed Microsoft Research Asia, that has trained the majority of AI leaders in China, including CTOs and AI heads at Baidu, Tencent, Alibaba, Lenovo, Huawei, and Haier. While at Apple, Dr. Lee led AI projects in speech recognition and natural language processing that were featured on Good Morning America and the front page of Wall Street Journal. Dr. Lee is the author of the New York Times and Wall Street Journal best-seller AI Superpowers, which examines the role of the US and China in the future of artificial intelligence, as well as its impact on society. He has a social media following of more than 50 million people.