A Practical Introduction to DevOps
Learn the DevOps practices and tools you need to help you deploy high-quality projects more quickly. We know there is no magic solution that will prevent bugs from occurring, but the tighter alignment of groups within an IT organization -- from Development and QA to Operations and InfoSec -- will get you as close as possible to ideal deployments. Learning DevOps practices and tools is the key to your organization achieving alignment.
This 4-hour live training will discuss high-level DevOps concepts so you can get the information you need to get started. You will also learn about the tools DevOps practitioners use to achieve their goals, including containers, Kubernetes, and CI/CD pipelines. This session will include numerous demonstrations of DevOps technologies providing context and real-life examples. This is the introduction to DevOps that you’ve been looking for. The class can also be used to start studying for the Cisco Certified DevNet Associate DEVASC 200-901 exam.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
- Find out how DevOps practices can help your company move faster and be more agile
- See how DevOps tools and technologies work together through live demonstrations
- Leverage lessons learned to accelerate the adoption of DevOps in your company
This training course is for you because...
- You are new to DevOps and want to know how to get started?
- You want your developers and operations teams to start working together instead of pointing fingers at each other.
- You need a no-nonsense primer on how DevOps technologies work.
About your instructor
Chris Jackson, CCIE No. 6256, is a Distinguished Systems Engineer working in World Wide Sales Training Development & Delivery. He is also the author of Network Security Auditing Cisco Press, 2010) and CCNA Cloud CLDADM 210-455 Official Cert Guide (CiscoPress, 2016). Chris is focused on all aspects of Data Center and Cloud, and takes pride in helping customers better leverage the business transformational aspects these technologies provide. He holds dual CCIEs in security and routing and switching, CISA, CISSP, ITIL v3, seven SANS certifications, and a bachelor's degree in business administration. Residing in Franklin, Tennessee, Chris enjoys tinkering with RC drones, robotics, and anything else that can be programmed to do his bidding. In addition, he is a 3rd degree Black Belt in Taekwondo, rabid Star Wars fan, and has a ridiculous collection of Lego. His wife Piper and three children Caleb, Sydney, and Savannah are the true joy of his life and proof that not everything has to plug into a wall outlet to be fun.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Segment 1 What is this DevOps thing? (35 min)
- Intro and overview
- 3 ways of DevOps
Break (5 min)
Segment 2 Why DevOps Matters (70 min)
- The HPPO
- DevOps Darlings
- Waterfall vs Agile Software Development
- Lean and Agile
- Developer vs Operations
- Putting these concepts together
Break (10 min)
Segment 3 Moving Faster with DevOps (50 min)
- Agile management techniques
- Containers, serverless, and microservices
- Docker Demo
- Using Kubernetes w/demo
- Integrating security in DevOps
Break (10 min)
Segment 4 DevOps in Action (50 min)
- Building your DevOps tool chain
- Core DevOps tools
- Continuous integration and Continuous Deployment
- Defining your DevOps workflow
- Demo of a fully function CI/CD pipeline for application deployment