Building Data APIs with GraphQL - 1 Day Class
Get started with the GraphQL query language and runtime for your APIs
Join expert Samer Buna for a hands-on, in-depth exploration of GraphQL. You’ll learn everything you need to get started with GraphQL, discover why it's necessary for modern web app architecture, and see how it compares to the alternatives. Along the way, you'll explore the theory and design decisions behind GraphQL and all the powerful features that ship with any GraphQL runtime implementation. You'll also learn how to create a simple GraphQL server.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
- GraphQL features and uses
- How GraphQL is different from alternatives and why that matters
- GraphQL's introspective nature
And you’ll be able to:
- Use GraphQL queries, mutations, fragments, variables, aliases, directives, interfaces, and unions
- Build a simple GraphQL server in Node.js
- Work with GraphQL with a backend data service
This training course is for you because...
- You're a backend engineer who designs APIs, and you want to learn what is different about GraphQL.
- You're a frontend engineer who works with applications that consume data APIs, and you want to make them work with GraphQL-based APIs.
- A basic knowledge of programming (variables, control structure, data structures, etc.)
Materials or downloads needed in advance:
- A machine with a modern browser and Node 8.9.4 or later installed (Please run "node --version" and make sure you see 8.1.4 (or higher).)
About your instructor
Samer Buna has over 20 years of experience in software development, during which he has worked on web and mobile applications development, API design, functional programming, optimization, system administration, database management, and scalability. Samer is the author of several technical books and online courses on topics such as Node.js, React, and GraphQL. You can follow his latest work over at jsComplete.com and EdgeCoders.com.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Introduction to GraphQL (50 minutes) - Lecture and exercises: The terminologies and design principles of GraphQL; the GraphQL way of creating APIs for hierarchical data; how GraphQL is product-centric with client-specified queries; how GraphQL plays well with existing code; how to work with the GraphQL editor
Break (10 minutes)
The GraphQL query language (50 minutes) - Lecture and exercises: The query syntax; variables; field aliases; fragments; directives; mutations; GraphQL's introspective nature; how to use GraphQL to write declarative data requirements
Break (10 minutes)
The GraphQL runtime (50 minutes) - Lecture and exercises: The GraphQL runtime; schemas; objects; fields; transport channels; type system; composition; introspection; mutations
Quiz, wrap-up, and Q&A (10 minutes)