Getting Started with OpenShift
OpenShift is a Red Hat hybrid cloud product for distributing, managing and orchestrating containers based on Kubernetes and DevOps tools. Kubernetes is the current de facto standard for managing containers in corporate IT, and Red Hat has added integration with DevOps tools to make OpenShift a valuable tool that can be used for managing containers. This training will prepare DevOps staff to work with OpenShift. The training will get you started with OpenShift and show you how to organize a workflow in OpenShift, starting with source code of any application, and resulting in a managed and scalable container in OpenShift.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
- Understanding OpenShift
- Understanding Challenges in Container Life Cycle Management
- Installing an OpenShift POC environment
- Creating Kubernetes Resource in OpenShift
- Using Source-to-Image to create applications
- Managing Routes
- Using OpenShift Web Console to create applications
- Deploying multi-container applications with OpenShift
This training course is for you because...
You are a developer, system administrator, IT architect, or working in devops, and looking for an introduction to working with OpenShift, which can be used as one of the key ingredients in a hybrid cloud environment.
Basic Linux knowledge is required.
If an attendee has no experience with Linux, it helps to watch "Beginning Linux System Administration" first.
About your instructor
Sander van Vugt has been teaching Linux since 1995 and has written more than 60 books about different Linux related topics. Sander is the author of the best-selling previous editions of the RHCSA Complete Video Course, as well as many other Red Hat related video courses. He is also a regular speaker on major Linux conferences all over the world.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Segment 1: Understanding Containers and OpenShift (25 minutes)
- Students will learn about containers, and how OpenShift is used to make managing containers in a corporate environment much easier
Segment 2: Understanding Challenges in Container Life Cycle Management (25 minutes)
- Students will learn which challenges exist in container life cycle management, and how OpenShift helps to make these challenges manageable
- 10 minute break
Segment 3: Installing an OpenShift POC Environment (25 minutes)
- Students will learn how to set up an environment to get started with OpenShift
Segment 4: Creating Kubernetes Resources in OpenShift (25 minutes)
- Students will learn about Kubernetes resources and how to deploy them in OpenShift
- 10 minute break
Segment 5: Using Source-to-Image to Create Applications (25 minutes)
- Students will learn how to set up a dynamic workflow where containers can be created from source code in open source software management systems such as GitHub
Segment 6: Managing Routes (25 minutes)
- Students will learn how to manage routes to make OpenShift applications available to external users
- 10 minute break
Segment 7: Using OpenShift Web Console to Create Applications (25 minutes)
- Students will learn how to use the OpenShift Web Console to create applications
Segment 8: Deploying Multi-container applications with OpenShift (25 minutes)
- Students will learn how to set build a multi-container application in OpenShift
O’Reilly Media, Pearson IT Certification, and Sander Van Vugt have no affiliation with Red Hat, Inc. The RED HAT and RHCSA trademarks are used for identification purposes only and are not intended to indicate affiliation with or approval by Red Hat, Inc.