GraphQL First Steps
Designing Modern APIs with GraphQL and Apollo
Topic: Web & Mobile
GraphQL is a special way to ask internet servers questions. (The "Q" in GraphQL stands for “query.”) Many think that GraphQL is tied to a specific database, but it’s actually a way to orchestrate a variety of data sources, and there’s an entire ecosystem built around it.
Join expert Eve Porcello to learn how to use GraphQL to ask servers all sorts of questions at once—and get all of the answers in a single response. Along the way, you’ll learn how to set up your own GraphQL servers that can answer questions that originate with any client and get hands-on experience in everything you need to start working on your own GraphQL projects.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live online course, you’ll understand:
- How to write queries, mutations, and subscriptions with GraphQL
- How to design a GraphQL schema that describes all of your APIs types
- How to build a GraphQL server with Apollo Server and Node.js
And you’ll be able to:
- Ask for data from GraphQL servers
- Model your domain’s types with the schema definition language
- Write resolver functions to retrieve data from a variety of sources
This training course is for you because...
- You’re a developer looking for an introduction to GraphQL.
- You’re a manager interested in how GraphQL can help your organization.
- You want to become a champion of your API’s graph at your company.
- A computer with Node.js (version 9+) and the code editor of your choice installed
About your instructor
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
The GraphQL query language (50 minutes)
- Presentation: Intro to GraphQL and query languages
- Demonstration: Building the GraphQL query language with the Pet Library API
- Hands-on exercise: Complete the Snowtooth Query Language lab
- Break (5 minutes)
GraphQL schema definition language (50 minutes)
- Presentation: Understanding GraphQL schemas
- Hands-on exercise: Build a GraphQL schema
- Break (5 minutes)
Creating a server with Apollo Server (50 minutes)
- Hands-on exercises: Build a server with Apollo Server; create a type with GraphQL
Wrap-up and Q&A (10 minutes)