Meet the Expert: Lenny Rosenfeld on Building a Next-Gen Data Platform at Nasdaq
As data volumes grow exponentially, scaling out gets more expensive, data access grows slower, and building and maintaining a data platform using proprietary technologies and protocols becomes less and less feasible. To meet this challenge, Nasdaq’s data customers are increasingly moving to the cloud, so the company needed to develop a future-proof, scalable, and feature-rich platform to meet their user and data demands.
Join us for this edition of Meet the Expert with Lenny Rosenfeld to learn how Nasdaq embraced open source technologies, the cloud, and DevOps culture to build its next-gen data platform. You’ll dive into the modern yet proven stack based on open technologies (Kafka and Spark), open file formats (Parquet and Avro), and a venue-agnostic fabric (Kubernetes) that helps the company deploy to any cloud no matter where its customers are. And you’ll learn how this was accomplished by only four people—and in under six months. Get the real story, hear what the team learned, and catch a glimpse of the future of enterprise data platforms along the way.
O'Reilly Meet the Expert explores emerging business and technology topics and ideas through a series of one-hour interactive events. You’ll engage in a live conversation with experts, sharing your questions and ideas while hearing their unique perspectives, insights, fears, and predictions.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live show, you’ll better understand:
- How Nasdaq built a future-proof, scalable, and feature-rich data platform
- How the company chose a modern yet proven stack of open source tools, including Spark, Kafka, Parquet, Avro, and Kubernetes
This Discussion is for you because...
- You’re interested in building and scaling your data platform using open source tools.
- You want to learn tools and best practices for working with lots of data, even with a small team.
- Come with your questions for Lenny Rosenfeld
- Have a pen and paper handy to capture notes, insights, and inspiration
- Read Learning Spark, second edition (book)
- Read Kafka: The Definitive Guide, second edition (book)
- Read Kubernetes Up and Running, second edition (book)
- Watch Spotlight on Data: Self-Service Data—Reliable Data Pipelines at Intuit with Sandeep Uttamchandani (video, 50m)
About our guest
Leonid (Lenny) Rosenfeld is the head of engineering for market data, alternative data, and machine intelligence platforms at Nasdaq. He boasts 20+ years of turning ideas into reality, leading technology teams through early- to midstage growth. His experience includes data-intensive computing, machine learning, applied analytics, and distributed systems. Outside of work, he coaches his kid’s Lego robotics team, obsesses over sports, and is an armchair philosopher.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing