Meet the Expert: Peter Zaitsev on Developments and Trends in Open Source Databases
Open source databases have evolved rapidly over the last few years, in terms of both their features and their approach to licensing. Join us for this edition of Meet the Expert with Percona CEO Peter Zaitsev to learn more about developments and trends in open source database technology, including new data models that focus on solving SQL-at-hyperscale problems, cloud native technologies, and innovations in licensing.
Peter offers an overview of technology trends such as the emergence of a large variety of NoSQL data models, ranging from key value stores to time series databases, and the move to distributed and cloud native technologies, which are being deployed on clusters rather than individual machines. He’ll also briefly discuss trends with open source licenses, particularly the increasing level of restrictions by copyright holders to prevent competition, which are eroding the original values of open source software.
O'Reilly Meet the Expert explores emerging business and technology topics and ideas through a series of one-hour interactive events. You’ll engage in a live conversation with experts, sharing your questions and ideas while hearing their unique perspectives, insights, fears, and predictions.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live show, you’ll better understand:
- Innovations happening with open source database technologies: new data models, cloud native technologies, Kubernetes, and serverless concepts
- Changes to open source licenses and the emerging class of not-quite-open-source database software
This Discussion is for you because...
- You want to learn about the fundamental shifts that are transforming the business landscape and customer needs.
- You’re interested in the trends affecting the open source database world, in order to understand how to keep your technological part of the business up-to-date.
- Come with your questions for Peter Zaitsev
- Have a pen and paper handy to capture notes, insights, and inspiration
About our guest
Peter Zaitsev is cofounder and CEO of Percona. As one of the foremost experts on MySQL strategy and optimization, Peter leveraged both his technical vision and entrepreneurial skills to grow Percona from a two-person shop to one of the most respected open source companies in the business. With over 200 professionals in more than 30 countries, Peter’s venture now serves over 3,000 customers, including a “who’s who” of internet giants, large enterprises, and exciting startups. A serial entrepreneur, Peter cofounded his first startup while attending Moscow State University, where he majored in computer science. He frequently speaks as an expert lecturer at MySQL and related conferences.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Wednesday, November 18, 2020, at 9:00am PT / 12:00pm ET
- Introduction and presentation (15 minutes)
- Interactive discussion and Q&A (45 minutes)