Meet the Expert: Selected Experts on AI in Manufacturing
Join us for a new Meet the Expert series from Intel. Each event will feature three to four short back-to-back presentations from Intel partners from industries including healthcare, banking and finance, retail, security, and more. Learn how companies are solving real-world business problems across a variety of AI workloads and how enterprise customers are using these solutions today.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
- Learn how to leverage your data to improve asset availability, asset and site performance, and operations and maintenance
- Explore an AI use case that allows metal processing plants to identify real-time quality problems
- Dive into prebuilt manufacturing and supply chain AI applications that can help you deliver significant economic benefit
- Discover how companies are using deep neural networks to recognize difficult patterns in images and training and deploying them on a production scale
This Discussion is for you because...
- You want to stay competitive by leveling up your data and AI expertise.
- You want to understand how companies are solving real-world challenges for AI workloads.
- You want to learn how enterprise partners are using Intel technology today.
- Come with your questions
- Have a pen and paper handy to capture notes, insights, and inspiration
About our guest
Rebecca Novack is a senior acquisitions editor at O'Reilly, where she works with authors, trainers, and other content creators in the artificial intelligence and machine learning space. Rebecca has been in the publishing industry for over 10 years, with acquisitions experience in technology, linguistics, and education.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
EVENT 3: SELECTED EXPERTS ON AI IN MANUFACTURING - NOVEMBER 17, 9:00AM–10:00AM PT | 12:00PM–1:00PM ET | 5:00PM–6:00PM UTC/GMT
Rebecca Novack: Introduction (10 minutes) - 9:00am PT | 12:00pm ET | 5:00pm UTC/GMT
- Rebecca Novack welcomes you to the AI in manufacturing edition of Meet the Expert.
Scott Armstrong: How to Improve Operations MFG Through Better Asset Performance (10 minutes) - 9:10am PT | 12:10pm ET | 5:10pm UTC/GMT
- Join Scott Armstrong to learn how to get from data to dashboard. Drawing on his experience at SparkCognition, Scott explains how to leverage your data to improve asset availability, asset and site performance, and operations and maintenance.
- Scott Armstrong runs channels and alliances globally at SparkCognition. A seasoned technology executive with deep expertise in business development, corporate development, machine learning, data science, big data, Hadoop, storage, and business intelligence, he’s spent 20 years in the enterprise technology industry at leading companies including DataRobot, Domino Data Lab, Cloudera, Citrix, and EMC. He holds an MBA from the University of Chicago Booth School of Business and a degree in computer science and economics from Trinity College.
Suhas Patel: Quality Optimization for Metal Processing Plants (10 minutes) - 9:20am PT | 12:20pm ET | 5:20pm UTC/GMT
- The quality of metal (measured in ppm) plays a very important role in how it’s priced. Due to the complexity of the processes, it takes up to two days to receive lab results showing the quality of a given batch. Suhas Patel shares an AI use case developed with Intel that allows metal processing plants to identify real-time quality problems—enabling them to take preventive actions and avoid reprocessing of metals.
- Suhas Patel is cofounder and CEO at Tvarit GmbH, a company developing industrial AI solutions through its 100+ algorithmic modules used for data harmonization, feature engineering, predictive analytics, and risk analysis. Previously, Suhas built grassroots factories in chemical manufacturing, densified biofuels, and packaging machine manufacturing. Suhas holds a master's degree in mobile and telecommunications from France and a bachelor's degree in computer science engineering from India.
Jim Hassman: Rapid Enterprise-Scale AI Acceleration for Manufacturing and the Supply Chain (10 minutes) - 9:30am PT | 12:30pm ET | 5:30pm UTC/GMT
- C3.ai’s Jim Hassman takes you through prebuilt manufacturing and supply chain AI applications that can be rapidly deployed and configured to deliver significant, recurring annual economic benefit.
- Jim Hassman a group vice president of sales in North America at C3.ai. In his decade at the company, his responsibilities have included delivering C3.ai applications to customers, designing and taking C3.ai applications to market, and sales. Previously, at Oracle, he worked in professional services, products, and sales and was general manager leading the utility and energy vertical. Jim holds a BS with an emphasis in finance from Brigham Young University and is currently enrolled in Harvard Business School’s Business Analytics Program.
Sebastian Borchers: nLine—Solving 360° Inline Quality Control at High Speeds Using SOTA AI Technology (10 minutes) - 9:40am PT | 12:40pm ET | 5:40pm UTC/GMT
- Automation is already deeply integrated and a standard of today's manufacturing processes, except for the quality control sector. There, companies often have to fall back to subjective human decisions in order to detect the variety of possible defects and production errors. But over the past few years, improvements in AI in both hardware and software have opened up new ways to approach the problem. Through a real-world customer example, Sebastian Borchers offers an overview of these issues and explains how Wahtari solved them with its inline solution for tube-shaped products, nLine. Along the way, he takes a closer look at how deep neural networks can be used to recognize difficult patterns in images and how they can be trained and deployed on a production scale.
- Sebastian Borchers is one of the software leads at Wahtari, specializing in AI-powered machine vision and convolutional deep neural networks. He’s an enthusiast of the KISS principle and the Go, C, C++, and OCaml programming languages. He studied computer science at the TU Munich, where he discovered his love for embedded systems, network programming, cybersecurity, and machine learning—and also founded his first company.
Q&A (10 minutes) - 9:50am PT | 12:50pm ET | 5:50pm UTC/GMT