Spotlight on Cloud: Cybersecurity, Privacy, and GDPR with Bill Mew
Systemic risks that authorities and business leaders can't afford to ignore yet are inadequately prepared to handle
Cyberattacks and breaches are at an all-time high, and the threat of cybersecurity litigation is rising dramatically. But many organizations are still inadequately prepared. The future of technology will depend upon erecting meaningful protections and reducing risk for your users in order to maximize your products’ social and economic value. However, for this to happen, a number of key issues must be addressed.
Join us for this edition of Spotlight on Cloud as expert Bill Mew discusses the four systemic cybersecurity and privacy issues that authorities need to address and that businesses need to be aware of:
- The incompatibility between the EU (which won't compromise on privacy, a fundamental human right in Europe) and the US (which won't compromise on mass surveillance, seen as essential for its security);
- The incompatibility between the GDPR's right to be forgotten and blockchain's immutability;
- Local “global” social media regulations to combat “online harms” that are either futile (UK) or overreaching (Australia), as international agreement on its definition or jurisdiction is unlikely;
- The US’s diminishing global technological superiority (in both commerce and espionage), just as Western societies are becoming more interconnected and vulnerable than ever before.
Along the way, you’ll also see how available cyber incident response services measure up and what you need to know how to prepare for a worst-case scenario.
O’Reilly Spotlight explores emerging business and technology topics and ideas through a series of one-hour interactive events. You’ll engage in a live conversation with experts, sharing your questions and ideas while hearing their unique perspectives, insights, fears, and predictions for the future.
In every edition of Spotlight on Cloud, you’ll learn about, discuss, and debate the complex, ever-evolving world of the cloud. Best of all, you’ll discover how successful companies have adopted and embraced this massive network of shared information and how you can follow their lead to transform your organization and prepare for the Next Economy.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live show, you’ll better understand:
- The four systemic cybersecurity and privacy issues that businesses need to be aware of and authorities need to address
This training course is for you because...
- You're a business leader who needs to understand the fundamental systemic issues in cybersecurity and privacy that will have the greatest impact on your business.
- You need to know how to prepare a cybersecurity and privacy incident response plan, to ensure that you’re adequately covered in a worst-case scenario.
- Come with your questions for Bill Mew
- Have a pen and paper handy to capture notes, insights, and inspiration
- Take Cybersecurity Offensive and Defensive Techniques in 3 Hours (live online training course with Omar Santos)
- Take Introduction to Digital Forensics and Incident Response (live online training course with Omar Santos)
- Read Intelligence-Driven Incident Response (book)
- Read Cybersecurity Incident Response: How to Contain, Eradicate, and Recover from Incidents (book)
- Read The Computer Incident Response Planning Handbook: Executable Plans for Protecting Information at Risk (book)
About your instructor
Bill Mew is the CEO of CrisisTeam.co.uk and a leading strategist and campaigner for striking the right balance between digital transformation “changing the world” with the cloud and AI, for example, and digital ethics “doing the right thing,” with privacy and security, for instance. As we move beyond the tech revolution and tech backlash, we need to find a new equilibrium that not only provides meaningful protection but also maximizes overall economic and social good. Previously, Bill was an officer in the Royal Navy; a global comms leader for IBM’s financial services sector, the top global fintech player; and a cloud strategist for UKCloud, the top UK govtech player and the fastest growing privately held tech firm in Europe. s He’s one of the top global social influencers for a range of technology issues and appears regularly in the press and media—he has more broadcast airtime than any other technologist in the UK, appearing almost weekly on broadcast TV and radio as an expert on digital ethics, data privacy, social media regulation, and digital transformation.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Thursday, October 3, 2019, at 9:00am PT / 12:00pm ET
- Introduction and presentation (15 minutes)
- Interactive discussion and Q&A (45 minutes)