Spotlight on Data: The Ethics of Analytics with Bill Franks
Explore some of the big questions that organizations must ask themselves to set the right policies
The more data we collect, the more concerned we are (or should be) about what data is appropriate and how—or if—it should be analyzed. There are many ethical, privacy, and legal issues to consider, and no clear standards exist as to what’s fair and what’s foul. This means that in order to implement the right policies, organizations must devise their own principles and tolerance for risk.
Join us for this edition of Spotlight on Data to learn about the range of ethical, privacy, and legal issues that surround analytics today. Bill Franks will frame the big questions every successful business must consider while outlining some of the trade-offs and ambiguities they need to address to answer them.
O’Reilly Spotlight explores emerging business and technology topics and ideas through a series of one-hour interactive events. You’ll engage in a live conversation with experts, sharing your questions and ideas while hearing their unique perspectives, insights, fears, and predictions for the future.
In every edition of Spotlight on Data, you’ll learn about, discuss, and debate the tools, techniques, questions, and quandaries in the world of data. You’ll discover how successful companies leverage data effectively and how you can follow their lead to transform your organization and prepare for the Next Economy.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live show, you’ll better understand:
- Current ethical, legal, and privacy issues surrounding data analytics
- How to address the ambiguities and trade-offs from data
This training course is for you because...
- You work with data in any capacity and need to ensure your organization's data practices are ethical and consistent with expectations and regulations for privacy.
- Come with your questions for Bill Franks
- Have a pen and paper handy to capture notes, insights, and inspiration
- Read Ethics and Data Science (report)
- Read Ethics of Big Data (book)
- Read “Ethics Should Precede Action in Machine Intelligence” (chapter in The Place for Ethics in Organizations)
- Read “Next-Generation Data Scientists, Hubris, and Ethics” (chapter 16 in Doing Data Science)
- Read Leaders and Innovators: How Data-Driven Organizations Are Winning with Analytics (book)
- Read Taming The Big Data Tidal Wave: Finding Opportunities in Huge Data Streams with Advanced Analytics (book)
About your instructor
Bill Franks is chief analytics officer at the International Institute for Analytics (IIA), where he provides perspective on trends in the analytics, data science, AI, and big data space and helps clients understand how IIA can support their efforts to improve analytics performance. His work, which includes several years as chief analytics officer for Teradata, has spanned clients in a variety of industries for companies ranging in size from Fortune 100 companies to small nonprofit organizations. Bill is the author of Taming the Big Data Tidal Wave and The Analytics Revolution, a sought-after speaker, and a frequent blogger. He was ranked a top 10 global big data influencer and was an inaugural inductee into the Analytics Hall of Fame in 2019.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Wednesday, November 13, 2019, at 10:00am PT / 1:00pm ET
- Introduction and presentation (15 minutes)
- Interactive discussion and Q&A (45 minutes)