Developing Enterprise Applications with Spring and Spring Boot
Build, deploy, and monitor powerful server-side systems in Java
O’Reilly’s Boston Training Center, Boston, MASee ticket options
Course limited to 40 people. Sign up before it sells out!
If you’re an enterprise developer coding in Java, you’ve probably asked yourself, “How can I become a more productive programmer without compromising the speed and flexibility of my applications?” Well, for starters, you can supercharge your existing Java applications—and grow your skills as an enterprise developer—by learning how to program in Spring and Spring Boot.
The surest route to adding Spring and Spring Boot to your developer toolkit is learning directly from one of the masters of the field. Join acclaimed developer, trainer, and consultant Ken Kousen (KousenIT, Inc.) for a two-day intensive, interactive course on enterprise development with Spring and Spring Boot. Through hands-on exercises, you’ll learn how to create new enterprise applications with the Spring Boot initializer, make effective use of Spring’s transactional, persistence, and injection services, and take advantage of the latest features of both the platform and Java 8. In addition, you’ll learn how to develop and deploy both RESTful web services and MVC applications.
This two-day workshop takes place at the O’Reilly Boston Training Center. You’ll have the personal attention (and hard-won wisdom) of a leading authority in Spring development: Ken is the author of the popular O’Reilly video training series Spring Framework Essentials as well as dozens of other O’Reilly videos and books. He’s also a frequent conference speaker at such industry-leading events as JavaOne and SpringOne. After two full days of working with Ken, you’ll have mastered the important skills required of an enterprise Spring developer and you’ll be ready to confidently apply them in your work.
What you’ll learn—and how you can apply it
By the end of this course, you’ll know:
- How to create a new server-side Java application using Spring Boot
- The benefits of dependency injection and POJO-based services
- How to test applications with the Spring TestContext Framework
- How to integrate relational databases into your application with transactional support
And you’ll be able to:
- Supercharge your existing Java applications
- Build fast and flexible server-side systems with Spring and Spring Boot
- Become a more productive programmer
This course is for you because…
- You are an experienced Java developer who is interested in getting started with Spring and/or Spring Boot for the first time
- You are an experienced Java developer who has programmed in Spring but is interested in learning how to use the latest Spring features
- You are a team member or leader who needs to build and support Spring and/or Spring Boot applications
- You are curious about the rapid development, deployment, and monitoring features in Spring Boot
- Working knowledge of Java
- Some knowledge of Java 8 lambdas a plus, but not required
- Some familiarity with web applications and RESTful services
- Day One
- Installing and configuring Spring Boot
- The Spring Boot CLI
- Using the Initializr page
- Automatic configuration
- Creating a Spring application
- Selecting features
- Customizing dependencies
- Working with the Gradle build
- Configuring repositories
- Selecting dependencies
- Adding custom build tasks
- Spring capabilities
- Using dependency injection
- Java configuration classes
- Annotations and component scans
- Testing Spring applications
- The Spring TestContext Framework
- Injecting test fixtures
- Rolling back transactions
- Day Two
- Working with relational data
- The JdbcTemplate class
- Building a DAO layer
- Object-Relational Mapping with JPA
- Transactional services
- Declarative transaction management
- Isolation levels
- Specifying propagation behavior
- Testing, revisited
- Integration testing auto-configuration
- Mocking Spring MVC
- Deploying Spring applications
- Generating executable jar files
- Creating a war distribution
- The Spring Boot Actuator
- Pre-defined endpoints
- Runtime metrics
- Listing beans
The course will be held at the O’Reilly Boston Training Center: 2 Avenue de Lafayette, 6th floor, Boston, MA 02111
Lunch will be provided.
Rental Car Discounts
If you need a rental car while attending the conference, you may go to the Hertz Interactive Reservation System to receive the special O’Reilly discount on rental cars for the conference. Or call Hertz Reservations at (800) 654-3131 and mention code #01XY0041.
United Airline Discount
To receive your 3% - 10% Discount on United Airlines flights to our event, you can book online at united.com and provide discount Code ZVUR591372. Or, for a $25 service fee you can call United Meetings at (800) 426-1122 where a ticketing agent can help you by phone.
Working as a team? Learn as a team.
Taking this course as a team ensures that everyone is on the same page and understands both the immediate and long-term and immediate goals of your project. Exploring new ideas and collaborating on exercises together is a great team-building experience; everyone on your team will have the opportunity to ask questions, discuss use cases, and learn from other participants.
For group tickets and enterprise licensing, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Code of Conduct
All participants must follow our Code of Conduct, the core of which is this: an O’Reilly events should be a safe and productive environment for everyone. Read more
O’Reilly Media, Inc. assumes no responsibility or liability for the facilities or services provided by the vendors and suppliers. Anyone attending this conference releases O’Reilly from any and all claims that may arise out of attending at this conference.