Press Release: October 24, 2007
Tomcat: The Definitive Guide, 2nd Edition--New from O'Reilly Media: Vital Information for Tomcat Programmers & Administrators
It takes a book as versatile as its subject to cover Apache Tomcat, the popular open source servlet and JSP container and high performance web server. Tomcat: The Definitive Guide (O'Reilly, $39.99) is a valuable reference for administrators and webmasters, as well as a useful guide for programmers who want to use Tomcat as their web application server during development or in production. It's also an excellent introduction for any novices interested in Tomcat.
Updated for the latest version of Tomcat, this second edition offers a complete guide to installing, configuring, maintaining, and securing this servlet container. In fact, with such a wealth of new information, this is essentially a new book, not just a simple revision. You will find details for using Tomcat on all major platforms, including Windows, Linux, OS X, Solaris, and FreeBSD, along with specifics on Tomcat configuration files, and step-by-step advice for deploying and running web applications.
This book offers complete information for:
- Installation and startup procedures
- Configuring Tomcat--a discussion of realms, roles, users, servlet sessions, and JNDI resources, including JDBC DataSources
- Deploying web applications--individual servlets, JSP pages, and web application archive files
- Tuning Tomcat to measure and improve performance
- Integrating Tomcat with Apache Web Server
- Securing Tomcat to keep online thugs at bay
- Tomcat configuration files--server.xml, web.xml, and more
- Debugging and Troubleshooting--diagnosing problems with Tomcat or a web application
- Compiling your own Tomcat instead of using the prebuilt release
- Running two or more Tomcat servlet containers in parallel
This revised edition also offers an overview of the Tomcat open source project's community resources, including documents, mailing lists, and more. Community interest fueled a strong demand for a Tomcat guide from O'Reilly. The result clearly exceeds expectations.
Jason Brittain is a Software Architect at spigit (http://www.spigit.com), a social networking software company with a Web 2.0 software suite that can find the best ideas and the best reputed people in user communities. Jason has also written web articles for O'Reilly's ONJava.com.
Ian F. Darwin has worked with Unix since 1980, Java since 1995, and OpenBSD since 1998. The author of several technical books and scores of articles, Ian also teaches Unix, C, and Java for Learning Tree International--one of the world's largest technical training companies.
Tomcat: The Definitive Guide, 2nd Edition
Jason Brittain, Ian F. Darwin
ISBN: 059101066, $39.99 US
O’Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O’Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying “faint signals” from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.