Rather than begin with the inner layers of a Rails web application--the models and controllers--this unique book approaches Rails development from the outer layer: the application interface. You'll learn how to create something visible with Rails before reaching the more difficult database models and controller code. With Learning Rails, you can start from the foundations of web design you already know, and then move more deeply into Ruby, objects, and database structures.
This book will help you:
- Present web content by building an application with a basic view and a simple controller, while learning Ruby along the way
- Build forms and process their results, progressing from the simple to the more complex
- Connect forms to models by setting up a database, and use Rails' ActiveRecord to create code that maps to database structures
- Use Rails scaffolding to build applications from a view-centric perspective
- Add common web application elements such as sessions, cookies, and authentication
- Build applications that combine data from multiple tables
- Create simple but dynamic interfaces with Rails and Ajax
Once you complete Learning Rails, you'll be comfortable working with the Rails web framework and well on your way to becoming a Rails guru.
"Learning a new web framework (and language) can be difficult, but Simon and Edd take it one step at a time and explain everything you need to know to get started with Rails."
--Gregg Pollack, RailsEnvy.com
For a review copy or more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your delivery address and contact information.
Edd Dumbill is co-chair of the O'Reilly Open Source Convention. He is also chair of the XTech web technology conference. Edd conceived and developed Expectnation, a hosted service for organizing and producing conferences. Edd has also been Managing Editor for XML.com, a Debian developer, and GNOME contributor. He writes a blog called Behind the Times.
Simon St. Laurent is an associate book editor at O'Reilly Media, Inc..
For more information about the book, including table of contents, index, author bios, and cover graphic, see the catalog page for Learning Rails.
Simon St. Laurent , Edd Dumbill
ISBN: 9780596518776, 442 pages, Book Price: $34.99 USD, £24.99 GBP
PDF Price: $27.99 USD
O’Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O’Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying “faint signals” from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.