You'll discover how to use standards-based web technologies—such as XHTML, CSS, and Ajax, along with video and Flash—to develop applications for a wide range of users and a variety of devices, including the mobile Web. You'll also learn specifics about this target audience, especially the key over-50 age group, whose use of the Web is rapidly growing.
With this book, you will:
- Learn the importance of metadata and how it affects images, headings, and other design elements
- Build forms that accommodate cell phones, screen readers, word prediction, and more
- Create designs using color and text that are effective in a variety of situations
- Construct tables that present information without spatial cues
- Design Ajax-driven social networking applications that people with disabilities can access
- Provide audio with transcriptions and video that includes captions and audio descriptions
- Discover assistive technology support for Rich Internet Application technologies such as Flash, Flex, and Silverlight
Universal Design for Web Applications provides you with a roadmap to help you design easy-to-maintain web applications that benefit a larger audience.
For a review copy or more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your delivery address and contact information.
Wendy Chisholm is a consultant, developer, author, and speaker on the topic of universal design. As co-editor of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 (WCAG 1.0) and then staff at the World Wide Web Consortium, she has worked with people around the globe to make the web accessible.
Matt May is a developer, technologist, and accessibility advocate who is responsible for working internally and externally with Adobe product teams and customers to address accessibility in Adobe products, ensure interoperability with assistive technologies, and make customers aware of the many accessibility features that already exist in Adobe products.
For more information about the book, including table of contents, index, author bios, and cover graphic, see the catalog page for Universal Design for Web Applications.
Universal Design for Web Applications
Wendy Chisholm , Matt May
ISBN: 9780596518738, 198 pages, Book Price: $34.99 USD
PDF Price: $31.99 USD
O’Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O’Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying “faint signals” from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.