This book clearly explains the advantages of Scala as a JVM language. You'll learn how to leverage the wealth of Java class libraries to meet the practical needs of enterprise and Internet projects more easily. Packed with code examples, this book provides useful information on Scala's command-line tools, third-party tools, libraries, and available language-aware plugins for editors and IDEs.
Programming Scala will allow you to:
- Learn how Scala's succinct and flexible code helps you program faster
- Discover the notable improvements Scala offers over Java's object model
- Get a concise overview of functional programming, and learn how Scala's support for it offers a better approach to concurrency
- Know how to use mixin composition with traits, pattern matching, concurrency with Actors, and other essential features
- Take advantage of Scala's built-in support for XML
- Learn how to develop domain-specific languages
- Understand the basics for designing test-driven Scala applications
"Dean and Alex provide in-depth and insightful coverage of Scala. The first few chapters give an intense, get-up-to-speed overview of the entire language. Subsequent chapters dive into topics deeply enough to give you a firm understanding of what Scala programming is all about. This book is a great complement to the book I wrote with Martin Odersky and Lex Spoon for anyone who wants to use Scala in real-world projects."
--Bill Venners, coauthor of Programming in Scala (Artima)
For a review copy or more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org Please include your delivery address and contact information.
Alex Payne is Platform Lead at Twitter, where he develops services that enable programmers to build atop the popular social messaging service.
Dean Wampler is a Consultant, Trainer, and Mentor with Object Mentor, Inc. He specializes in Scala, Java, and Ruby.
For more information about the book, including table of contents, index, author bios, and cover graphic, see: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596155957
Dean Wampler, Alex Payne
ISBN: 9780596155957, 446 pages,
Book Price: $44.99 USD, £30.99 GBP
Ebook Price: $35.99 USD
O’Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O’Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying “faint signals” from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.