Sebastopol, CA—The Web is increasingly happening in realtime. With websites such as Facebook and Twitter leading the way, users are coming to expect that all sites should serve content as it occurs—on smartphones as well as computers. Building the Realtime User Experience (O'Reilly Media, $34.99 USD) shows you how to build realtime user experiences by adding chat, streaming content, and including more features on your site one piece at a time, without making big changes to the existing infrastructure. You'll also learn how to serve realtime content beyond the browser.
With Building the Realtime User Experience, you will:
- Use the latest realtime syndication technology, including PubSubHubbub
- Build dynamic widgets on your homepage to show realtime updates from several sources
- Learn how to use long polling to "push" content from your server to browsers
- Create an application using the Tornado web server that makes sense of massive amounts of streaming content
- Understand the unique requirements for setting up a basic chat service
- Use IM and SMS to enable users to interact with your site outside of a web browser
- Implement custom analytics to measure engagement in realtime
For a review copy or more information please email email@example.com. Please include your delivery address and contact information.
Ted Roden was the first full-time developer hired on at Vimeo.com, and currently works in the Research and Development group at The New York Times. His work researching and prototyping topics closely related to the content of this book has been profiled by Harvard University's Nieman Journalism Lab (http://bit.ly/f7rdJ and http://bit.ly/YzELI). At the Times, he has also worked on bringing election night coverage, maps, and updates to the mobile website, as well as March Madness fantasy brackets. He is also the creator of a popular social bookmarking site: enjoysthin.gs.
For more information about the book, including sample content, full table of contents, author bio, and cover graphic, see: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596806163.
Building the Realtime User Experience
ISBN: 978-0-596-80615-6, 320 pages,
Book Price: $34.99 USD, Ebook Price: $27.99 USD
O’Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O’Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying “faint signals” from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.