Sebastopol, CA—If you've mastered Python's fundamentals, you're ready to start using it to get real work done. Programming Python (O'Reilly Media, $64.99 USD) will show you how, with in-depth tutorials on the language's primary application domains: system administration, GUIs, and the Web. You'll also explore how Python is used in databases, networking, front-end scripting layers, text processing, and more. This book focuses on commonly used tools and libraries to give you a comprehensive understanding of Python's many roles in practical, real-world programming.
"Given that Python 3.X is expected to be the future of Python—or, at the very least, a major part of it—an in-depth applications programming book that uses Python 3.X exclusively should serve as a resource for both new Python users who start off with Python 3.X initially, as well as current Python 2.X users migrating to 3.X over time," says author Mark Lutz.
"Python 3.X will probably eventually matter to everyone using Python, even if it's just as a candidate being evaluated for viability," Lutz adds. "By showing Python 3.X put to work on realistic tasks, this book will help readers judge its merits, and perhaps apply it for tasks of their own."
You'll learn language syntax and programming techniques in a clear and concise manner, with lots of examples that illustrate both correct usage and common idioms. Completely updated for version 3.x, Programming Python also delves into the language as a software development tool, with many code examples scaled specifically for that purpose.
- Quick Python tour: Build a simple demo that includes data representation, object-oriented programming, object persistence, GUIs, and website basics
- System programming: Explore system interface tools and techniques for command-line scripting, processing files and folders, running programs in parallel, and more
- GUI programming: Learn to use Python's tkinter widget library
- Internet programming: Access client-side network protocols and email tools, use CGI scripts, and learn website implementation techniques
- More ways to apply Python: Implement data structures, parse text-based information, interface with databases, and extend and embed Python
For a review copy or more information please email email@example.com. Please include your delivery address and contact information.
For more information about the book, including table of contents, author bios, and cover graphic, see: http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596158118
Programming Python, Fourth Edition
Publisher: O'Reilly Media
By Mark Lutz
Print ISBN: 9780596158101 Ebook ISBN: 9781449301835
Print Price: $64.99 Ebook Price: $51.99
O’Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O’Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying “faint signals” from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.