Four short links: 25 August 2016

Data Risks, AI at Apple, Automated Code Refactoring, and ​Driverless Ubers in Pittsburgh

By Nat Torkington
August 25, 2016
Four short links
  1. Seven Ways to be Data-Driven Off a CliffA well-known saying among data scientists is that 80% of the work is data cleaning and the other 20% is complaining about data cleaning.
  2. AI at Apple — Apple is working hard to counter the claim that “Apple is falling behind in everything that’s sexy.” Their story is “we do sexy things, but they’re invisible in shipping products or haven’t shipped yet.” Apple’s battling chatter that threatens their recruitment and stock price. “Our narrative, not your narrative!” is their approach. The way I see it, Apple doesn’t want to be or own tech pioneers: they build better versions of other people’s tech. Their people solve problems of popular scale, tweaking other people’s tech (open source, research, acquisitions) to make it work for real humans and get it in their hands. They come later in the pioneer-settler-town planner framework than shiny tech startups.
  3. Learn faster. Dig deeper. See farther.

    Join the O'Reilly online learning platform. Get a free trial today and find answers on the fly, or master something new and useful.

    Learn more
  4. UndebtA fast, straightforward, reliable tool for performing massive, automated code refactoring. (via Yelp Engineering)
  5. Driverless Ubers in PittsburghUber passengers in Pittsburgh will be able to summon rides in self-driving cars with the touch of a smartphone button in the next several weeks. (via Marginal Revolution)
Post topics: Four Short Links
Share: