Press Release: November 8, 1999
The Official Documentation for the DocBook DTD Released by O'Reilly--DocBook: The Definitive Guide SEBASTOPOL, CA--The Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards (OASIS), which is responsible for the continued maintenance of the DocBook DTD, has designated O'Reilly's latest release, DocBook: the Definitive Guide, as the official documentation of the DocBook DTD.
DocBook: the Definitive Guide was written by Leonard Muellner and Norman Walsh, who is the creator of the DocBook XML implementation. This important new book is the complete and official documentation of the DocBook Document Type Definition (DTD) and many of its associated tools.
DocBook is a system for writing structured documents using SGML and XML. It provides all the elements you'll need for technical documents of all kinds. A number of computer companies use DocBook for their documentation, as do several Open Source documentation groups, including the Linux Documentation Project (LDP). With the consistent use of DocBook, these groups can readily share and exchange information. With an XML-enabled browser, DocBook documents are as accessible on the Web as in print.
DocBook: the Definitive Guide will be at your local bookstore, and in its entirety, online at the following sites:
- A brief introduction to SGML and XML
- A guide to creating documents with the DocBook DTD and associated
- Information about using SGML and XML tools like Jade and
- A guide to customizing DocBook
- A complete SGML and XML reference, including examples, for every DocBook element
- The complete source text of this book, in both SGML and HTML
- All the examples from the book
- DSSSL style sheets that let you convert DocBook documents to RTF,
LaTeX, or HTML
- The DocBook DTD for SGML, version 3.1
- The DocBk DTD for XML, version 3.1.5
- More information
about the book, including Table of Contents,
index, author bio, and an online version
- Cover graphic in jpeg format
By Norman Walsh & Leonard Muellner
ISBN: 1-56592-580-7, 652 pages,
$36.95 (US$), Includes CD-ROM
For almost 40 years, O’Reilly Media has provided technology and business training, knowledge, and insight to help companies succeed. Our unique network of experts and innovators share their knowledge and expertise through the company’s Safari training and learning platform and at O’Reilly conferences. As a SaaS learning platform, Safari delivers highly topical and comprehensive technology and business learning solutions to millions of users across enterprise, consumer, and university channels. For more information visit oreilly.com.
Return to: O'Reilly Press Room