June 5, 2001
P2P: the Next Great Thing for the Internet
"P2P is the prime driver of the emergent Internet operating
system, a platform that will integrate PCs, servers, and devices with Internet
services that go far beyond today's web sites."
Sebastopol, CA--O'Reilly & Associates announced today that registration
is now open for the O'Reilly
Peer-to-Peer and Web Services Conference to be held September 18-21,
2001 at the Omni Shoreham Hotel in Washington D.C.
O'Reilly & Associates'second Peer-to-Peer and Web Services Conference
will explore the technical, business, and legal dimensions of the
fast-growing peer-to-peer and web services space. We'll bring together
emerging, collaborative technologies into one definitive conference to
explore the pioneering opportunities of web services and to confront
the challenges of the peer-to-peer business model. Technology
innovators will have the opportunity to participate in dialog that
shapes the standards, legislation, and practices that will transform
global computer interaction.
are renowned as a gathering of top-notch leaders, experts, and visionaries from
all avenues of the technology industry. Scheduled speakers and panelists
- Ian Clarke, CTO, Uprizer, Inc.
- Cindy Cohn, Legal Director, Electronic Frontier Foundation
- Cory Doctorow, Co-Founder and Chief Evangelist, OpenCola, Inc.
- Rael Dornfest, O'Reilly Maven & Conference Program Chair
- Li Gong, Distinguished Engineer & Director of Engineering, Sun
- Wesley Felter, Editor, Hack the Planet
- Lucas Gonze, Co-founder and CEO, WorldOS Corp.
- Dr. Andrew Grimshaw, CTO and Co-founder, Applied Meta
- Christian Huitema, Architect, Microsoft
- Gene Kan, CEO, InfraSearch
- Fred von Lohmann, Visiting Researcher, Berkeley Center for Law &
- Michael R. Macedonia, PhD, US Army STRICOM
- Tim O'Reilly, Founder & President, O'Reilly & Associates
- Ray Ozzie, Founder and CEO, Groove Networks
- Gary Shapiro, President and CEO, Consumer Electronics Association
- Dave Stutz, Architect & P2P Conference Keynoter, Microsoft
- Kelly Truelove, Founder & CEO, Clip2
list of speakers)
"P2P is the next great thing for the Internet. We haven't even begun to
understand or imagine the possibilities," says Lawrence Lessig,
Stanford Law professor and P2P Conference keynoter.
Keynoter Clay Shirky would likely agree. In fact he addresses some of
the P2P possibilities in an article, live today, on
openp2p.com. "So many ideas and so
many technologies are swirling around
P2P--decentralization, distributed computing, web services, JXTA, UDDI,
SOAP--that it's getting hard to tell whether something is or isn't P2P,
and it's unclear that there is much point in trying to do so just for
the sake of a label." For a taste of the thoughtful discussion the
second O'Reilly Peer-to-Peer and Web Services Conference will offer,
read Shirky's article, "Hailstorm:
Open Web Services Controlled by Microsoft."
O'Reilly Peer-to-Peer and Web Services Conference
Bird Registration through August 17, 2001.
Obtain your press
pass for the O'Reilly Peer-to-Peer and Web Services
O'Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O'Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying "faint signals" from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.
Return to: O'Reilly Press Room
Recent Press Releases
Press Release Archive »
Media Relations - North America & Conferences
Media Relations - Germany
Media Relations - Japan
Media Relations - United Kingdom