Press Release: June 5, 2001
P2P: the Next Great Thing for the Internet
"P2P is the prime driver of the emergent Internet operating
system, a platform that will integrate PCs, servers, and devices with Internet
services that go far beyond today's web sites."
Sebastopol, CA--O'Reilly & Associates announced today that registration is now open for the O'Reilly Peer-to-Peer and Web Services Conference to be held September 18-21, 2001 at the Omni Shoreham Hotel in Washington D.C.
O'Reilly & Associates'second Peer-to-Peer and Web Services Conference will explore the technical, business, and legal dimensions of the fast-growing peer-to-peer and web services space. We'll bring together emerging, collaborative technologies into one definitive conference to explore the pioneering opportunities of web services and to confront the challenges of the peer-to-peer business model. Technology innovators will have the opportunity to participate in dialog that shapes the standards, legislation, and practices that will transform global computer interaction.
O'Reilly conferences are renowned as a gathering of top-notch leaders, experts, and visionaries from all avenues of the technology industry. Scheduled speakers and panelists include:
- Ian Clarke, CTO, Uprizer, Inc.
- Cindy Cohn, Legal Director, Electronic Frontier Foundation
- Cory Doctorow, Co-Founder and Chief Evangelist, OpenCola, Inc.
- Rael Dornfest, O'Reilly Maven & Conference Program Chair
- Li Gong, Distinguished Engineer & Director of Engineering, Sun Microsystems
- Wesley Felter, Editor, Hack the Planet
- Lucas Gonze, Co-founder and CEO, WorldOS Corp.
- Dr. Andrew Grimshaw, CTO and Co-founder, Applied Meta
- Christian Huitema, Architect, Microsoft
- Gene Kan, CEO, InfraSearch
- Fred von Lohmann, Visiting Researcher, Berkeley Center for Law & Technology
- Michael R. Macedonia, PhD, US Army STRICOM
- Tim O'Reilly, Founder & President, O'Reilly & Associates
- Ray Ozzie, Founder and CEO, Groove Networks
- Gary Shapiro, President and CEO, Consumer Electronics Association
- Dave Stutz, Architect & P2P Conference Keynoter, Microsoft
- Kelly Truelove, Founder & CEO, Clip2
(See a complete list of speakers)
"P2P is the next great thing for the Internet. We haven't even begun to understand or imagine the possibilities," says Lawrence Lessig, Stanford Law professor and P2P Conference keynoter.
Keynoter Clay Shirky would likely agree. In fact he addresses some of the P2P possibilities in an article, live today, on openp2p.com. "So many ideas and so many technologies are swirling around P2P--decentralization, distributed computing, web services, JXTA, UDDI, SOAP--that it's getting hard to tell whether something is or isn't P2P, and it's unclear that there is much point in trying to do so just for the sake of a label." For a taste of the thoughtful discussion the second O'Reilly Peer-to-Peer and Web Services Conference will offer, read Shirky's article, "Hailstorm: Open Web Services Controlled by Microsoft."
O'Reilly Peer-to-Peer and Web Services Conference Early Bird Registration through August 17, 2001.
Obtain your press pass for the O'Reilly Peer-to-Peer and Web Services Conference.
For almost 40 years, O’Reilly Media has provided technology and business training, knowledge, and insight to help companies succeed. Our unique network of experts and innovators share their knowledge and expertise through the company’s Safari training and learning platform and at O’Reilly conferences. As a SaaS learning platform, Safari delivers highly topical and comprehensive technology and business learning solutions to millions of users across enterprise, consumer, and university channels. For more information visit oreilly.com.
Return to: O'Reilly Press Room