Press Release: May 21, 1998
Perl Luminaries to Gather at O'Reilly's Perl Conference 2.0 SEBASTOPOL, CA--O'Reilly & Associates is presenting the Perl Conference 2.0 from August 17-20, 1998 at The Fairmont Hotel in San Jose, California. Perl Conference 2.0 features two days of intensive tutorial sessions followed by a two-day conference led by key Perl developers. Over 1000 Perl enthusiasts from around the world attended last year's inaugural Perl Conference, sharing ideas, learning new tricks, and building highly marketable programming and Web site management skills.
The Perl Conference 2.0 features:
- Keynotes: Larry Wall, creator of Perl, expounds on the latest developments in Perl, including his current project-building XML processing into Perl; Tom Paquin of Netscape's mozilla.org talks about Netscape's release of Communicator source code in "Free Software Goes Mainstream."
- Perl and Apache: A full track devoted to creating a high-performance Web site using Perl with the Apache Web server. Apache is the world's most widely used Web server.
- Tutorials: In-depth sessions including "Introduction to Perl for Programmers," "The Gory Details: Making Your Web Site Secure," "Windows NT System Administration with Perl," and "Practical Web Programming".
- "Guru-Is-In" sessions: Informal Q&A with leading Perl developers and trainers.
- Conference sessions: Topics include "Perl and XML," "Using Perl 5.005, "Efficient Perl," "Perl and Windows," and "Where Perl, Apache and Java Meet."
- Perl Developer's Workshop: An intensive, invitation-only all-day session on the organization and future direction of Perl, led by Larry Wall. Interested developers must submit a one-page position paper by July 1.
- User Applications: Case studies highlighting innovative uses of Perl in real-world situations.
Perl Conference 2.0 is the premier gathering of key Perl developers and
expert practitioners. Presenters include:
- Larry Wall, creator of Perl
- Dick Hardt, creator of Perl for Win32
- Tom Christiansen, coauthor of
and the "Perl Cookbook" and managing editor of
- Tim Bray, co-editor of the XML specification
- Jon Orwant, editor and publisher of The
- Doug MacEachern, author of mod_perl
- Randal Schwartz, coauthor of "Learning Perl" and "Programming Perl"
About PerlA popular programming language for Web developers and system administrators, Perl is the tool of choice for building custom web applications and "gluing together" programs. Perl is the most widely used language for creating dynamic web pages. As Hassan Schroeder, Sun's first webmaster, remarked: "Perl is the duct tape of the Internet." For more information, see http://www.perl.com.
Registration and InformationInformation about and online registration for Perl Conference 2.0 is available online at http://conference.perl.com.
Press RegistrationMembers of the press can register for Perl Conference 2.0 at https://www.convmgmt.com/registration/pressreg.htm.
O’Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O’Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying “faint signals” from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.
Return to: O’Reilly Press Room