Press Release: May 24, 2000
O'Reilly Releases New "Nutshell" Book -- VBScript in a Nutshell Sebastopol, CA--O'Reilly's latest book in the esteemed "In a Nutshell" series, VBScript in a Nutshell, was written to give VBScript developers the in-depth, real-world information that Help files simply can't provide. This new quick reference distills the experiences of professional developers who have created complex VB and VBScript applications--all day, every day, for years--into the concise, no-nonsense Nutshell format.
Whether developing for the Web, automating Windows, or customizing Microsoft Outlook, VBScript in a Nutshell shows how to write clear, efficient VBScript code. Focusing on the core language, the book consists of a VBScript language reference, which contains all VBScript statements, keywords, and objects. This alphabetical language reference provides the following details:
- The keyword's syntax, using standard code conventions
- A list of arguments, if any, accepted by the function or procedure
- Notes and solutions to real-world gotchas, and various undocumented behaviors and aspects of the language that help the reader avoid potential problems
- A description of the data returned by a function
- How and where the keyword should be used within the scripting environment
- Differences between the language element in VBA and VBScript
- A brief example to illustrate the use of the keyword
- A cross-reference to other keywords
- Basic language information on VBScript data types, constants, variables, and arrays
- The use of the MSIE, Active Server, Outlook, and Windows Script Host object models to interface a script with the application it's controlling
- Tables listing VBScript functions and statements by category
- The version-specific features of VBScript
- Chapter 2, Program Structure, is available online.
- More about the "In a Nutshell" series.
- More information about the book, including Table of Contents, index, author bio, and samples.
- A cover graphic in jpeg format.
For almost 40 years, O’Reilly Media has provided technology and business training, knowledge, and insight to help companies succeed. Our unique network of experts and innovators share their knowledge and expertise through the company’s Safari training and learning platform and at O’Reilly conferences. As a SaaS learning platform, Safari delivers highly topical and comprehensive technology and business learning solutions to millions of users across enterprise, consumer, and university channels. For more information visit oreilly.com.
Return to: O'Reilly Press Room