Understanding the design and operation of the transport and control plane subsystems of a network is a good start toward being a network engineer. Design involves adding several more points and integrating them into a whole. For instance, network design also involves the following tasks:
• Building security into the design and operation of a network
• Using the network as a tool (where it makes sense) to help secure the attached hosts and applications
• The design patterns used in network design, and where and how to apply those patterns
• Resilience at a system-wide level
• Choosing between the many technologies available to solve the set of problems presented by applications and business drivers (this reaches into the ...