Chapter 3. Build Only What Is Absolutely Necessary

<feature> </feature>

When applications evolve based on the demands of users, they tend to take a bad turn.

Features used by only 10 percent of users, or used only 10 percent of the time, are added and get in the way of the remaining 90 percent of features. They clutter an otherwise clean interface. They interfere with the features used most often.

And when “featuritis” takes over, you quickly find yourself permanently providing tech support for things that shouldn’t be in the tool to begin with, fixing more bugs, writing more help material, and neglecting other, more important features. And while this may sound like a lot of fun to certain (slightly ...

Get Designing the Obvious: A Common Sense Approach to Web Application Design now with the O’Reilly learning platform.

O’Reilly members experience books, live events, courses curated by job role, and more from O’Reilly and nearly 200 top publishers.