4 MAKING A BUSINESS CASE
CONTENTS OF THIS CHAPTER
This chapter covers the following topics:
- the purpose of a business case;
- the business case and the development lifecycle;
- checking feasibility;
- elements of a business case;
- identifying, evaluating and selecting options;
- principles of cost–benefit analysis;
- principles of risk and impact analysis;
- investment appraisal techniques;
- references and further reading.
THE PURPOSE OF A BUSINESS CASE
As Chapter 3 demonstrated, an IT system is not – or should not be – developed for its own sake but because an organisation has a business need that can be met through it. The organisation may wish to lower its operating costs, or improve the customer’s experience or it may need to comply ...