This is the Rough Cut version of the printed book.
DevOps promises to accelerate the release of new software features and improve monitoring after systems are placed into operation. However, DevOps has crucial implications for system design and architecture that most previous books ignore. In DevOps: A Software Architect's Perspective, three world-class software architects address these issues head-on, helping organizations deploy DevOps more efficiently, avoid common problems, and drive more value.
The authors begin by reviewing DevOps' impact on every phase of the development cycle, including build, test, deployment, and post-deployment monitoring and observation. For each phase, they systematically identify issues, tools, team practices, and key tradeoffs associated with preparing for DevOps and using it effectively.
Next, they turn to cross-cutting concerns that transcend a single function, offering practical insights into compliance, cloud environments, human and process performance, reliability, repeatability, and more. Throughout, they offer real-world case studies, detailed references, practical examples, and convenient checklists. You'll find indispensable guidance for addressing key questions like:
How can I design new systems to work more effectively with DevOps?
How do I address culture and communication problems between Dev and Ops?
How do I integrate DevOps with agile methods and TDD?
What are the best ways to handle specific issues such as failure detection and upgrade planning?
Table of contents
- Cover Page
- About This eBook
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Previewing the Book
Part One: Background
- Chapter 1. What Is DevOps?
- Chapter 2. The Cloud as a Platform
- Chapter 3. Operations
Part Two: The Deployment Pipeline
- Chapter 4. Overall Architecture
- Chapter 5. Building and Testing
- Chapter 6. Deployment
Part Three: Crosscutting Concerns
- Chapter 7. Monitoring
Chapter 8. Security and Security Audits
- 8.1 What Is Security?
- 8.2 Threats
- 8.3 Resources to Be Protected
- 8.4 Security Roles and Activities
- 8.5 Identity Management
- 8.6 Access Control
- 8.7 Detection, Auditing, and Denial of Service
- 8.8 Development
- 8.9 Auditors
- 8.10 Application Design Considerations
- 8.11 Deployment Pipeline Design Considerations
- 8.12 Summary
- 8.13 For Further Reading
- Chapter 9. Other Ilities
- Chapter 10. Business Considerations
Part Four: Case Studies
- Chapter 11. Supporting Multiple Datacenters
- Chapter 12. Implementing a Continuous Deployment Pipeline for Enterprises
- Chapter 13. Migrating to Microservices
Part Five: Moving Into the Future
- Chapter 14. Operations as a Process
- Chapter 15. The Future of DevOps
- About the Authors
- Title: DevOps: A Software Architect’s Perspective
- Release date: May 2015
- Publisher(s): Addison-Wesley Professional
- ISBN: 9780134049885
You might also like
The Software Architect Elevator
As the digital economy changes the rules of the game for enterprises, the role of software …
Software Architecture Patterns
Just as developers use design patterns in software development, architects use well-defined architecture patterns to define …
Software Architecture Patterns
The success of any application or system depends on the architecture pattern you use. By describing …
Fundamentals of Software Architecture
Salary surveys worldwide regularly place software architect in the top 10 best jobs, yet no real …