A Comprehensive, Proven Approach to Securing All Your Network Endpoints!
Despite massive investments in security technology and training, hackers are increasingly succeeding in attacking networks at their weakest links: their endpoints. Now, leading security expert Mark Kadrich introduces a breakthrough strategy to protecting all your endpoint devices, from desktops and notebooks to PDAs and cellphones.
Drawing on powerful process control techniques, Kadrich shows how to systematically prevent and eliminate network contamination and infestation, safeguard endpoints against today’s newest threats, and prepare yourself for tomorrow’s attacks. As part of his end-to-end strategy, he shows how to utilize technical innovations ranging from network admission control to “trusted computing.”
Unlike traditional “one-size-fits-all” solutions, Kadrich’s approach reflects the unique features of every endpoint, from its applications to its environment. Kadrich presents specific, customized strategies for Windows PCs, notebooks, Unix/Linux workstations, Macs, PDAs, smartphones, cellphones, embedded devices, and more.
You’ll learn how to:
• Recognize dangerous limitations in conventional
endpoint security strategies
• Identify the best products, tools, and processes to secure your specific devices and infrastructure
• Configure new endpoints securely and reconfigure existing endpoints to optimize security
• Rapidly identify and remediate compromised
• Systematically defend against new endpoint-focused malware and viruses
• Improve security at the point of integration between endpoints and your network
Whether you’re a security engineer, consultant, administrator, architect, manager, or CSO, this book delivers what you’ve been searching for:
a comprehensive endpoint security strategy that works.
Mark Kadrich is President and CEO of The Security Consortium, which performs in-depth testing and evaluation of security products and vendors. As Senior Scientist for Sygate Technologies, he was responsible for developing corporate policies, understanding security trends, managing government certification programs, and evangelization. After Symantec acquired Sygate, Kadrich became Symantec’s Senior Manager of Network and Endpoint Security.
His 20 years’ IT security experience encompasses systems level design, policy generation, endpoint security, risk management, and other key issues.
9 Apple OS
11 PDAs and
13 Case Studies of
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Praise for Endpoint Security
- About the Author
- 1. Defining Endpoints
- 2. Why Security Fails
- 3. Something Is Missing
- 4. Missing Link Discovered
- 5. Endpoints and Network Integration
- 6. Trustworthy Beginnings
- 7. Threat Vectors
- 8. Microsoft Windows
- 9. Apple OS X
- 10. Linux
- 11. PDAs and Smartphones
- 12. Embedded Devices
- 13. Case Studies of Endpoint Security Failures
- Title: Endpoint Security
- Release date: March 2007
- Publisher(s): Addison-Wesley Professional
- ISBN: 9780321436955