Enterprise architecture makes a vital contribution to the running of a large organisation. It was originally developed in order to manage a rapid growth in the cost and complexity of IT systems, using knowledge gained from software structure and design. For this reason, enterprise architecture is often thought of as a component of IT governance. However, the discipline has evolved and extended its scope. Enterprise architecture is now about structuring business capabilities and processes in order to support your long-term business strategy. Effective application of enterprise architecture will enable you to improve your productivity and performance.
This pocket guide offers you an invaluable introduction to this business-critical subject. It explains the function of enterprise architecture within the organisation, looks at the skills needed within the enterprise architecture team and provides an overview of the most common enterprise architecture frameworks. As the author emphasises, enterprise architecture is not about creating models and designs for their own sake, but about using these structures to serve the needs of the business.
Benefits to business include:
- Make better decisions As a discipline, enterprise architecture helps companies to understand the way that their component systems (e.g. security, business continuity or performance management) all fit together. The pocket guide will show you how enterprise architecture can lead to better decision making
- Improve business effectiveness Enterprise architecture maintains a holistic view of the organisation, taking into account different issues, such as efficient use of resources and reliable delivery of services, and showing how they relate to one another. This pocket guide explains how to build up a comprehensive overview of the enterprise that can be used to assess the trade-offs involved across various domains and priorities. This will help you to improve your organisation's integration and effectiveness
- Improve your ability to manage risks Enterprise architecture has an important function in risk management, and can help your organisation to achieve compliance with regulations, such as Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) and Basel II
- Improve your ability to manage change Every organisation is being forced to adapt as budgets grow tighter and new regulations are introduced. By enabling you to understand and map the interdependencies within your organisation, enterprise architecture makes it easier for you to work out the most effective solution.
If you want your organisation to be more than the sum of its parts, buy this pocket guide today!"
Table of contents
- ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- CHAPTER 1: WHAT IS ENTERPRISE ARCHITECTURE?
- CHAPTER 2: BUSINESS DRIVERS AND BENEFITS
- CHAPTER 3: ARCHITECTURE AND GOVERNANCE
- CHAPTER 4: ARCHITECTURE MATURITY
- CHAPTER 5: THE ARCHITECTURE TEAM
- CHAPTER 6: FRAMEWORKS, METHODS AND TOOLS
CHAPTER 7: ARCHITECTURE IN PRACTICE
- Preparing for architecture
- The architecture cycle
- Hands-off architecture
- Engaging everyone
- ITG RESOURCES
- Title: Enterprise Architecture: A Pocket Guide
- Release date: June 2009
- Publisher(s): IT Governance Publishing
- ISBN: 9781849281133
You might also like
AWS Certified Solutions Architect Official Study Guide
Validate your AWS skills. This is your opportunity to take the next step in your career …
O'Reilly Software Architecture Conference 2020 - New York, NY
O’Reilly Media’s Software Architecture Conference (SACON) New York 2020 was Maggie Carrol’s (MAG Aerospace) compelling examination …
Kubernetes: Up and Running, 2nd Edition
Kubernetes radically changes the way applications are built and deployed in the cloud. Since its introduction …
Implementing Domain-Driven Design
“For software developers of all experience levels looking to improve their results, and design and implement …