* Printed with permission from Divyabhanusinh, 2005, ‘The Great Mughals Go Hunting Lions’, in The Story of Asia's Lions, Marg Publications, Mumbai.
1. Rogers and Beveridge (1909–14, Vol. I: 369) give the same figure, but identify the animal as a tiger. We shall come to this matter presently.
2. I am grateful to Ashok Kumar Das for bringing this painting from the Maharaja Sawai Man Singh II Museum, Jaipur, Acc. No. 863, to my attention and dating it.
3. I am grateful to Professor Muzaffar Alam who checked the Sayeed Ahmud text of Tuzuk-i-Jahangiri and found the word shir in all relevant cases on pp. 65, 78, 80, 89, 92, 117, 140, 175, 179, 182, 185, 221, 366 and 375. See Ahmud (1864).
4. For a detailed analysis of the event, see Divyabhanusinh ...