No credit card required
1 Managers and the Management Process
1.1 What Does It Mean to Be a Manager?
• Organizations have different types and levels of managers.
• Accountability is a cornerstone of managerial performance.
• Effective managers help others achieve high performance and satisfaction.
• Managers must meet multiple changing expectations.
1.2 What Do Managers Do and What Skills Do They Use?
• Managerial work is often intense and demanding.
• Managers plan, organize, lead, and control.
• Managers enact informational, interpersonal, and decisional roles.
• Managers pursue action agendas and engage in networking.
• Managers use a variety of technical, human, and conceptual skills.
• Managers can and should learn from experience.
1.3 What Are Some Important Career Issues in the New Workplace?
• Globalization and job migration are changing the world of work.
• Failures of ethics and corporate governance are troublesome.
• Diversity and discrimination are continuing social priorities.
• Intellectual capital and self-management skills are essential for career success.
2 Management Learning
2.1 What Are the Lessons of the Classical Management Approaches?
• Taylor's scientific management ...