This chapter contains an overview of basic performance laws and queueing models of system performance. Among the topics discussed are
• Basic laws of system performance, including the Utilization Law and Little’s Law
• Open and closed queueing network representations of systems, and performance models to analyze them
• Product form queueing networks and Mean Value Analysis
• Loss systems
• The relationship between performance modeling principles and the formulation of performance requirements
• The use of performance models to inform the interpretation of performance measurements and performance test results
Performance models of computer systems are used ...