Chapter 7

Obtaining Your License and Call Sign


check Filling out your paperwork

check Watching for your call sign

check Choosing your own call sign

check Keeping your license valid

After you pass your exam (see Chapter 6), only a small matter of paperwork separates you from your new license. The exam-session volunteers help you complete everything correctly and even send your paperwork to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).

You still need to understand what you’re filling out, though; that’s what I cover in this chapter. Fill your paperwork out correctly, and you won’t delay the process of getting your call sign.

Completing Your Licensing Paperwork

After you successfully complete the exam, you need to fill out two forms:

  • Certificate of Successful Completion of Examination (CSCE): Figure 7-1 shows the ARRL-VEC CSCE. (As I discuss in Chapter 6, this certificate is issued by the American Radio Relay League’s Volunteer Examiner Coordinator.) The VEC and FCC use the CSCE as a check against the exam session records. Your copy of the completed form documents your results. If you take ...

Get Ham Radio For Dummies, 3rd Edition now with the O’Reilly learning platform.

O’Reilly members experience books, live events, courses curated by job role, and more from O’Reilly and nearly 200 top publishers.