Book descriptionWhen It's Smart to Say No
Nearly every week we read about a tragedy or scandal that could have been prevented if individuals had said no to ill-advised or illegitimate orders. In this timely book, Ira Chaleff explores when and how to disobey inappropriate orders, reduce unacceptable risk, and find better ways to achieve legitimate goals.
The inspiration for the book, and its title, comes from the concept of intelligent disobedience used in guide dog training. Guide dogs must recognize and resist a command that would put their human and themselves at risk and identify safer options for achieving the goal. This is precisely what Chaleff helps humans do. Using both deeply disturbing and uplifting examples, as well as critical but largely forgotten research, he shows how to create a culture where, rather than “just following orders,” people hold themselves accountable to do the right thing, always.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Preface • How I Learned about Intelligent Disobedience
- Foreword • by Phil Zimbardo, Creator of the Stanford Prison Experiment
- Introduction • Creating Cultures that Do the Right Thing
- Chapter One • The Pressure to Obey: What Would You Do?
- Chapter Two • Obedience and Disobedience: When Is Which Right?
- Chapter Three • Breaking the Habit: It Takes More than You Think
- Chapter Four • Finding Your Voice: Saying “No” So You Are Heard
- Chapter Five • Understanding the True Risks of Saying “Yes”
- Chapter Six • The Dynamics of Authority and Obedience
- Chapter Seven • Changing the Dynamics
- Chapter Eight • The Crucial Lessons from Guide Dog Training
- Chapter Nine • The Price of Teaching Obedience Too Well
- Chapter Ten • Teaching Intelligent Disobedience: Where Do the Lessons Begin?
- Chapter Eleven • Doing Right at Work: Saving Lives and Accomplishing Missions
- Conclusion • Personal Accountability and Cultures that Honor Doing Right
- Appendix • The Courageous Follower: A Model for Creating Powerful Partnerships
- About the Author
- Other Books by the Author
- Title: Intelligent Disobedience
- Release date: July 2015
- Publisher(s): Berrett-Koehler Publishers
- ISBN: 9781626564299
You might also like
SAFe 5.0 Distilled: Achieving Business Agility with the Scaled Agile Framework
SAFe® 5.0: The World's Leading Framework for Business Agility "Those who master large-scale software delivery will …
The Art of Leadership
Many people think leadership is a higher calling that resides exclusively with a select few who …
Make: Electronics, 2nd Edition
"This is teaching at its best!" --Hans Camenzind, inventor of the 555 timer (the world's most …
Deep Learning Illustrated: A Visual, Interactive Guide to Artificial Intelligence
“The authors’ clear visual style provides a comprehensive look at what’s currently possible with artificial neural …