8Building Your Sense of Meaningfulness
There’s a lot you can do to build a sense of meaningfulness in your own job. The building blocks for meaningfulness are these:
- A noncynical climate—giving you the freedom to care deeply
- Clearly identified passions—having insight into what you care deeply about
- An exciting vision—creating a vivid picture of what you can accomplish
- Relevant task purposes—making a connection between your work and the vision
- Whole tasks—taking responsibility for an identifiable product or service
Now let’s look at some actions that you can take to address these building blocks.
Creating a Noncynical Climate for Yourself
What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything, and the value of nothing.