Electric Circuit Variables
IN THIS CHAPTER
A circuit consists of electrical elements connected together. Engineers use electric circuits to solve problems that are important to modern society. In particular:
- Electric circuits are used in the generation, transmission, and consumption of electric power and energy.
- Electric circuits are used in the encoding, decoding, storage, retrieval, transmission, and processing of information.
In this chapter, we will do the following:
- Represent the current and voltage of an electric circuit element, paying particular attention to the reference direction of the current and to the reference direction or polarity of the voltage.
- Calculate the power and energy supplied or received by a circuit element.
- Use the passive convention to determine whether the product of the current and voltage of a circuit element is the power supplied by that element or the power received by the element.
- Use scientific notation to represent electrical quantities with a wide range of magnitudes.
1.2 Electric Circuits and Current
The outstanding characteristics of electricity when compared with other power ...