Chapter 9 Income From Real Estate Rentals and Royalties

Use Schedule E of Form 1040 to report real estate rental income and expenses. You must also fileForm 4562 with your 2016 return to claim depreciation deductions for buildings you placed in service during the year.

Use Schedule C instead of Schedule E if you provide substantial services for the convenience of the tenants, such as maid service. That is, Schedule C is used to report payments received for the use and occupancy of rooms or other areas in a hotel, motel, boarding house, apartment, tourist home, or trailer court where services are provided primarily for the occupant.

If you rent out an apartment or room in the same building in which you live, you report the rent ...

Get J.K. Lasser's Your Income Tax 2017 now with the O’Reilly learning platform.

O’Reilly members experience live online training, plus books, videos, and digital content from nearly 200 publishers.