2. Define—Tools Roadmap Applied to the Beginning of All Projects
All projects, no matter what Problem Category they relate to, progress through the same series of tools in the Define phase. The purpose of Define is to ensure that
- The project scope is clear.
- The customer/market value is understood.
- The business value is understood.
- The measures of process performance are agreed upon and baselined.
- Clear breakthrough goals are set for the measures.
- There is business support to do the project in the form of a Project Leader and Team (and all resources are freed up appropriately to do the project).
- There are agreed Champions and Process Owners for the project to ensure barriers are removed.
- This is the right project to be working on.