The CEO of highly respected global consultancy Proudfoot shares her secrets to achieve your leadership license to operate and create businesses fit for people
Manage to Engage: How Great Managers Create Remarkable Results provides leaders with a practical, business-proven approach for building stronger organizational ecosystems that achieve exceptional results and long-term prosperity. Packed with innovative tools and exercises that can be immediately applied in any management setting, in-person or virtually, this invaluable guide shows you how to create a movement of energized and enabled people who are truly engaged in their work.
Author Pamela Hackett has advised, led, and supported people through major change for some of the world's most prominent companies and brands throughout her 35 years in management consulting. In this must-read book, Pamela shares with you the one factor that underpins all performance improvement and transformation goals - be they operational, financial, cultural, or ultimately driven by your customer. It is to have a fully engaged workforce. She shares her passionate commitment to "people solutions” in business and operations improvement by teaching you how to place engagement at the center of both your leadership and your entire organization. Designed to infuse engagement into every part of your day-to-day role, this vital resource will help you:
- Raise your head from your technology, connect with people, and build strong relationships by following simple yet powerful concepts like the “HeadsUP High 5”
- Leverage active management and other behavior models to change the way your teams work with you, and motivate them strive for ‘best possible’ instead of ‘best practice’
- Use the innovative “1.5.30 Connect” performance improvement framework to bring about measurable and meaningful change through engagement and replace your outdated annual performance review system
- Recognize and rapidly adapt to the post-COVID world of work where more people are working remotely— and connectivity and engagement is more crucial than ever before
Manage to Engage: How Great Managers Create Remarkable Results should be required reading for anyone wanting to create great relationships at work, be genuinely connected to people, and power-up engagement levels to new highs.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- The Times, They Are a-Changin’
- Changing Your Advantage
- Great Things Happen at the Intersection of People and Technology
- Flat as a Pancake – Not Yet
- But What if They Could?
- People Are (Still) the Future of Business
- A Moment Can Become a Movement
- But Does It Have to Be This Way?
- What Will Our Legacy Be?
- Is It Culpability or Capability?
- Engagement, the Quiet Revolution, the Needed Movement
- How to Engage with This Book
CHAPTER 1: People Matter: We Need a Healthier Way of Working
- No Connections in Range
- Seeing People as Value and Valuable
- We Need a New Scorecard That Drives Results
- Work: A Four-Letter Word
- Soul-Destroying Survey Findings
- The Problem with Organizations Is O-r-g-a-n-i-z-a-t-i-o-n
- I Love Being Managed! Not
- Volunteerism: The New Competitive Advantage
- Clean and Meaningful, Not Lean and Mean
- If the Pants Fit, Wear Them
- Fit and Healthy – The Human Competitive Edge
- The Chariots Are on Fire
- Good, Better, Best, Never Let It Rest…
- The Workplace Scorecard – Scoring the Top, from the Bottom Up
- Engage, Enable, Energize. What Does MI-9 Feel Like to People at Work?
- Fueling Your Fitness Program
CHAPTER 2: The Ice Age: It's Alive and Well at Work
- A Few Bad Apples…
- The Freezing of the Global Workforce
- A World on the Run
- Navigating the Perfect Storm
- Skill Up or Sink
- A Breath of Fresh Air
- Second Acts
- I'm Gonna Make You a Star
- Don't Forget to Look at Yourself
- So How Do We Break the Cycle?
- Start with Common Complaints That Undermine Employee Confidence
- Bad News Sells
- We're All Looking for Value
- People Are a Product of You
- The Boss Is Dead, Long Live the Boss
- Value Is as Value Does
- The Way We've Been Managing Hasn't Managed to Engage
- Coming to a Workplace Near You: The Biggest Change Project Ever
- Connecting with Generation C
- CHAPTER 3: Manage to Engage: Building Street Cred
- CHAPTER 4: Fair Trade: An “F” You Should Be Proud Of
- CHAPTER 5: A Common Cause: Collecting Volunteers to Create a Movement
CHAPTER 6: Cleaning Up Your Workplace
- Engaging in Cash, Cost, and Growth
- Lean Isn't Always Clean
- Humanize. Optimize. Digitize. Healthy and Fit.
- Step One in the Cleanup: Figure Out What Cheeses People Off
- The Hairdryer, the Hotel, and the Bad-Hair Day
- Recognizing the Signs
- From Walk-the-Floor to Walkabout
- From Process Mapping to Aerial Mapping
- Why Is Aerial Mapping So Essential?
- If You Must Focus on Cost, Study These Numbers
- CHAPTER 7: Out Your Doubt and Boost Confidence
CHAPTER 8: Building Connections: Can You Hear Me?
- You're the Best Thing about Me
- Playing Push-Me-Pull-Me
- Don't Break the Connection
- Core Principles for Improving Connectivity
- I'm a Change Junkie – Get Me Out of Here!
- Time Is Precious – Use It Well
- If You Want to Understand, Listen
- One Foot in the Present and One Foot in the Future
- Soul-Searching, a Change Is Gonna Come
- Oh, and Don't Forget to Be Human!
CHAPTER 9: The Strength in Numbers Is Collaboration
- A Person Is a Person through Other People
- Think Big
- Make Your Mark
- An Opportunity Shared Is an Opportunity Doubled
- Supersize Me
- Beyond Borders
- Preparing the Way for Collaboration
- Curators of Curiosity
- Collaboration Takes Energy
- Collaboration 4.0
- Diversity – It's about Collaboration, Not Just Race and Gender
- CHAPTER 10: Building Community: 1 + 1 = 3
- CHAPTER 11: Growing Capability: We Yearn to Learn
- CHAPTER 12: Freedom: The Great Facilitator
- CHAPTER 13: Making a Difference: Engage. Enable. Energize.
- About the Author
- End User License Agreement
- Title: Manage to Engage
- Release date: April 2021
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781119773467
You might also like
Essentials of Communication Skill and Skill Enhancement
For those who wish to learn or teach the tools of skillful communication, this book provides …
Learn Enough Developer Tools to Be Dangerous: Command Line, Text Editor, and Git Version Control Essentials
All You Need to Know, and Nothing You Don’t, About Core Tools for Software Development Three …
Own Your Tech Career
Own Your Tech Career: Soft skills for technologists helps you get what you want out of …
The YouTube Formula
The Wall Street Journal bestseller! Learn the secrets to getting dramatic results on YouTube Derral Eves …