1. See chapter 1 of Michael Watkins, The First 90 Days: Critical Success Strategies for New Leaders at All Levels (Boston: Harvard Business School Press, 2003).
2. See B. Joseph White and Yaron Prywes, The Nature of Leadership: Reptiles, Mammals, and the Challenge of Becoming a Great Leader (Washington: Amacom Books, 2006).
3. Drucker developed this idea in his classic The Effective Executive, originally published in 1966. See Peter Drucker, The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done, 4th ed. (New York: Collins Business, 2006).
4. William Shakespeare, As You Like It, Act II, Scene VII, lines 139–166.
5. The leadership pipeline framework was developed in Ram Charan, Stephen Drotter, and James ...