Measure, optimize, and improve the performance of your Python code with this easy-to-follow guide
About This Book
- Master the do's and don'ts of Python performance programming
- Learn how to use exiting new tools that will help you improve your scripts
- A step-by-step, conceptual guide to teach you how to optimize and fine-tune your critical pieces of code
Who This Book Is For
If you're a Python developer looking to improve the speed of your scripts or simply wanting to take your skills to the next level, then this book is perfect for you.
What You Will Learn
- Master code optimization step-by-step and learn how to use different tools
- Understand what a profiler is and how to read its output
- Interpret visual output from profiling tools and improve the performance of your script
- Use Cython to create fast applications using Python and C
- Take advantage of PyPy to improve performance of Python code
- Optimize number-crunching code with NumPy, Numba, Parakeet, and Pandas
Simply knowing how to code is not enough; on mission-critical pieces of code, every bit of memory and every CPU cycle counts, and knowing how to squish every bit of processing power out of your code is a crucial and sought-after skill. Nowadays, Python is used for many scientific projects, and sometimes the calculations done in those projects require some serious fine-tuning. Profilers are tools designed to help you measure the performance of your code and help you during the optimization process, so knowing how to use them and read their output is very handy.
This book starts from the basics and progressively moves on to more advanced topics. You'll learn everything from profiling all the way up to writing a real-life application and applying a full set of tools designed to improve it in different ways. In the middle, you'll stop to learn about the major profilers used in Python and about some graphic tools to help you make sense of their output. You'll then move from generic optimization techniques onto Python-specific ones, going over the main constructs of the language that will help you improve your speed without much of a change. Finally, the book covers some number-crunching-specific libraries and how to use them properly to get the best speed out of them.
After reading this book, you will know how to take any Python code, profile it, find out where the bottlenecks are, and apply different techniques to remove them.
Style and approach
This easy-to-follow, practical guide will help you enhance your optimization skills by improving real-world code.
Table of contents
Mastering Python High Performance
- Table of Contents
- Mastering Python High Performance
- About the Author
- About the Reviewers
1. Profiling 101
- What is profiling?
- The importance of profiling
- What can we profile?
- Memory consumption and memory leaks
- The risk of premature optimization
- Running time complexity
- Profiling best practices
2. The Profilers
- Getting to know our new best friends: the profilers
- 3. Going Visual – GUIs to Help Understand Profiler Output
4. Optimize Everything
- Memoization / lookup tables
- Usage of default arguments
- List comprehension and generators
- String concatenation
- Other tips and tricks
- 5. Multithreading versus Multiprocessing
6. Generic Optimization Options
- How to choose the right option
- 7. Lightning Fast Number Crunching with Numba, Parakeet, and pandas
- 8. Putting It All into Practice
- Title: Mastering Python High Performance
- Release date: September 2015
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781783989300
You might also like
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Hands-On Enterprise Automation with Python.
Invent your own Python scripts to automate your infrastructure About This Book Make the most of …
Python One-Liners will teach you how to read and write “one-liners”: concise statements of useful functionality …
Data Structures and Algorithms in Python
Based on the authors' market leading data structures books in Java and C++, this textbook offers …